Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hyperlink Properties / CSS / Styles & Classes

In HTML, it is simple to have different sections of a page which have different background/foreground colors. You can easily assign different attributes to hyperlinks (via CSS) appropriate for that section. For example, you might have black sidebar, with white text and a main text area, with black text. Hyperlinks with hover color set can be applied easily depending on the context.

In XWD, apart from duplicating the text to the mouseover layer (which gets cumbersome for pages with numerous links), is there a way to accomplish this.

Unchecking the "Use common website link colors" checkbox overrides the global "Mouse Off Color, Mouse Over Color, and Visited Color settings but does not let you assign those values for the selected text.

This is an area where CSS shines and I'm not sure how you would visually accomplish the same thing without it becoming overly redundant and cumbersome. (Duplicating text so you can change its properties on hover/mouseover).

Another example: If I don't want my hyperlinks to default to underlined, how do I turn it off?

The CSS notion of styles and classes is very useful...

Default Re: Hyperlink Properties / CSS / Styles & Classes

Quote Originally Posted by StevenWWinters View Post
    If I don't want my hyperlinks to default to underlined, how do I turn it off?
    Web properties dialog, Website tab, "Underline text links" checkbox.
    The CSS notion of styles and classes is very useful...
    Only if you are comfortable using it. If you are, and you are happy using it, then what is your question?
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    Web properties dialog, Website tab, "Underline text links" checkbox.

Only if you are comfortable using it. If you are, and you are happy using it, then what is your question?
    I missed that checkbox, but again, it is applied globally. It may be that you want some sections or pages with certain attributes and others with a different set (hover color, underline, etc).

It is more of a comment, and statement of the fact that I am evaluating whether, as a web designer, it is more efficient to attempt to do everything visually as XWD attempts to, v.s. understanding and using code.

XWD makes some things simple, but other things which are simple in code, become awkward at best, when done visually through dialogs and such.

Styles and classes are efficient because they allow you to quickly assign similar attributes to like groups of objects, in my example - hyperlinks. If they could be utilized by XWD, it would be a major advantage, IMO.

It is generally getting easier to produce produce common results across browsers because the browser are getting better at complying with the standards. The problem lies mostly with older browsers, so XWD's advantage here may diminish with time.

It is more of a comment, and statement of the fact that I am evaluating...
    Ah, I see. It's just my assumption that all posts are either questions or suggestions.
    John.

Also, if you are experienced with CSS coding, you can use it with WD. I'm talking about placeholders of course. You can use any CSS you want with them.
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer
    if you are experienced with CSS coding, you can use it with WD. I'm talking about placeholders of course.
    I know what cascading style sheets are and understand how they are beneficial in website design, but have no actual experience working with them. I would be more than casually curious to see some examples of how CSS might be used in placeholders. Anyone?

Ah, I see. It's just my assumption that all posts are either questions or suggestions.
    Well, it is a suggestion that you consider somehow enhance XWD to utilize user defined styles. Is that a possibility?

Also, if you are experienced with CSS coding, you can use it with WD. I'm talking about placeholders of course. You can use any CSS you want with them.
    I assume you mean by using HTML snippets encoded with CSS? But the more you do in placeholders, the less reason for XWD...

I assume you mean by using HTML snippets encoded with CSS?
    No I suggest to put stylesheets into placeholders. For example, to use specific CSS for a specific part of page generated by WD.
    But the more you do in placeholders, the less reason for XWD...
    If you are comfortable enough working with code, there's not much reasons to use WD. Well, maybe for prototyping.
    John.

Well, it is a suggestion that you consider somehow enhance XWD to utilize user defined styles. Is that a possibility?
    Your original post suggest that some tasks are easier to solve by programming than by designing. This is true. But WD is a design tool, not programming tool. So if it was a suggestion, then I don't know how it is related to WD.
    John.