Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Monkey Dash Boardgame Pieces

I really like those designs - simple and stylish? - yes they are

no idea about the practicalities of cutting them out - but visually they are spot on I'd say..
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks for the comments - it is reassuring to hear that I am in the right ball park

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn
    no idea about the practicalities of cutting them out
    I've never had anything laser cut before, so I am hoping that the pros at the company will advise me whether the design has any shortcomings. However the videos I've seen of lasers in action are really quite impressive... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IAhvbkLqCY

Quote Originally Posted by Metro Golden
    if the monkeys are always getting into things, should they look more curious, impishness or that they're ready to jump into some serious monkey business? And again, it may depend on the age group.
    I agree, that the monkeys aren't quite cheeky enough yet. I am aiming to achieve a tricky balance... the monkeys should look a bit out of shape (from eating so many bananas) yet must also look like they can still make a brief dash (when they see a particularly tasty treat)
    As for the age group... this is going to be a tricky part of the marketing, as the theme does look quite childish, and can certainly be played by kids as young as 5; but the game is also deceptively challenging and not beneath any adult, casual or hardcore gamer - I have played well over 100 games and still haven't mastered it!

Quote Originally Posted by Odat
    if the hand that's outstretched was holding something that looked like a banana, or if it's tail was curled around a branch and it was hanging upside down.
    Sadly neither of these is really possible... the game is set in a warehouse so no branches available, plus the piece must be stable as it has to balance on top of the banana crates. I am wary about adding a banana, since there is a third piece, which is itself a banana / banana skin, which will be at a different scale to the monkey.

Quote Originally Posted by Odat
    is any of your production run going to find it's way across the pond?
    I have to say that it is unlikely the game will make it to the USA this time around. I am self financing and this is my first game, so the initial run is going to be small... a few hundred copies. If these sell well, I envisage a second run in time for the Essen Spiel festival in October. After that... who knows!
    That said, if anyone does want a copy I would certainly be able to ship directly to an international address.

Here is a slightly tweaked version, with a thicker arm, a whisp of hair, and some different eyes.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Ampa; 21 March 2009 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Final monkey?

Here's my attempt. I'm not sure if it's an improvement on any of yours. Sometimes you spend so much time looking at something that you can't see clearly any more. However, if you like it feel free to use it.

http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/t...ara/monkey.png
    Last edited by Big Frank; 16 April 2009 at 12:23 PM.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Perhaps having a more traditional monkey colour would help.
    Increasing the size of the rounded bevel slightly would create a softer effect.
    Adding the eyes and mouth to the design rather than as cutouts would give the monkey more character.
    I borrowed Big Frank's version to make my amendments.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monkey.png 
Views:	178 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	57898  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

I think there may be manufacturing cost issues associated with a round bevel and facial features.

Big Frank: Thanks for the input, is always nice to see other people's ideas. I like the nose / nostrils, they look more animal like, but I need to find out whether there is a practical limit to the size of hole that can be cut by the lazer. It is not that the laser beam can't make the cut, but that the 'hole' needs to fall away cleanly.

iamtheblues: A bevel would be nice, but again I am not sure how feasable this is. The laser will cut a square edge only - to bevel would require another sanding / shaping process which would certainly increase the production cost.
    As for the colour, again it is a balance of cost Vs visual appeal. To dye or spray a single colour will be by far the cheapest option, but still allows the player to distinguish their pieces from those of their opponent. However the box art / graphics in the rules booklet can certainly have more detail, and be in genuine monkey colours.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    I really like those designs - simple and stylish? - yes they are

no idea about the practicalities of cutting them out - but visually they are spot on I'd say..
    My cousin owns a patent on a laser cutting machine and I he cuts or etches very complex things. So, yes it should be quite possible. Check out http://www.lasersareus.com/giftware/
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11