Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default My first time... : faux pulp magazine covers

O.K. if you count my avatar, this is my second full colour illo with Xtreme.

It was the first of a series I'm doing of faux pulp magazine covers and I thought I'd bite the bullet and try to do them all entirely in Xtreme. As you can see I'm not totally mad, in that I've chosen a very clean and relatively simple style. If anyone is interested, I'll post more from the series as they are completed (I have twelve in various stages of completion).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CONFESSIONS 01x750.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	366.5 KB 
ID:	40786  
    Last edited by MarkMyWords; 24 August 2007 at 05:59 PM. Reason: correct typo

Default Re: My first time...

Very, very nice MMW! Uncomplex yet effective illustration. well done. Let's see more!
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Default Re: My first time... : faux pulp magazine covers

Great work.

Remi

This is lovely. I like the guy's suit and the woman's hair particularly,
    and the way you've depicted the woman's emotions, not just the tears.
    But it's all excellent, a very solid piece of work - of course we'd all like
    to see the rest as they are completed.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Nice theme, although one typo " Enfold" spelling. By the way how about those pre-war pulps "Amazing Stories" science fiction etc. Maybe some of our ancient members may have them stuck away in the lumber room could dig them out
    and have a go hoping that the copyright has long expired.
    Norman. The Flying Scotsman

OOps! Thanks for pointing out the typo Andy-doh! You saved me some time and money, I thought this was ready for the printer LOL!

I rarely use type in my work, but I really should check more carefully, Phew, thanks again!

As for those Pulps you mention, I love them, especially 1935-1945, very unfashionable at the moment, but my own favourite period. Most people tend to go for the fifties editions, because 'retro' styling for that period is very fashionable right now and again faux movie posters (especially fifties SF), rather than covers, are what seem to sell. I might try that too, as I'm thinking of dipping my toes in the 'prints for sale' waters, but right now I have designs for Detective, Horror, SF and true romance style covers in the works. Unfortunately you will find none of the copyrights have expired. These things are sold as prints on all kinds of merchandise and the original artwork is often up for sale.

But the genre of over-stated and unrestrained emotional appeal is great fun to play with, I'd love to see other peoples efforts with this kind of thing.

Here are some original pulp covers if you are interested;http://www.spiritone.com/~maxpax/pulp.htm

If you want to check out a master of retro vector art, this guy is amazing;http://www.littlecartoons.com/
    Last edited by MarkMyWords; 24 August 2007 at 02:37 PM. Reason: add urls

Glad to be of help. Thanks for the links very interesting.

Very nice work. I hope that you will post more as you get them finished.
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

Thumbs up Re: My first time... : faux pulp magazine covers

This is quality cartoon art. Great work! Youve put Xara's stroke widths to good use.

Um, spotted another spelling error. Shouldn't it be spelt "ecstasy" not "ecstacy"?

Quote Originally Posted by Skaven252 View Post
    This is quality cartoon art. Great work! Youve put Xara's stroke widths to good use.

Um, spotted another spelling error. Shouldn't it be spelt "ecstasy" not "ecstacy"?
    Well spotted and I guess english is not your mother tongue.
    Mind you Skaven, one should always check one's own spelling before posting it you've missed the apostrophe in "you've". Hee Hee