Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: convert 22 xara files to comic book in PDF

Well, I was able to do Gary's technique of using layers. I tried it out using simple shapes. The trick is you have to place the layers exactly on top of each other (the guides layer helps).

I haven't yet been able to convert pages of the comic book successfully because I was playing with the layers feature at the time and few pages are alike. Each page has about 3 layers and I guess there's no way to combine them easily. I could use the "ignore invisible options" but I still have to go page by page to figure out which layer is which. This is probably a good thing in case I want to make changes or in the unlikely event this goes to print.

Still, this is a great technique and allows Xtreme 3.2 users to do multi-pages. Thanks Gary!

I'm still getting the PKLite and other Acrobat error even though everything seems to work fine. I should look this up to make sure they are harmless.

My picture is on the profile. Hopefully it comes through this time so I don't have to keep writing Ceal alias Cecilia. This is for those developers who kept referring to me as "he". It's a caricature, of course. In real life I'm a dead ringer for Nicole Kidman.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceal View Post
    I haven't yet been able to convert pages of the comic book successfully because I was playing with the layers feature at the time and few pages are alike. Each page has about 3 layers and I guess there's no way to combine them easily.
    For what it's worth, if you select objects from multiple layers and then group them together (Arrange->Group or Ctrl-G), all of the objects will jump to the current layer automatically.
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.

Thank you Odat. It worked perfectly. You saved me several hours of time that I would have spent trying to figure out my layers.

I was thinking of using that saved time to complete the PDF file and send it to my printer at Office Depot to see if he could do it. Last time he was there he suggested a PDF file rather than the hard copy I gave him. Would you happen to know if having these combined layers would mess up any print job?

I would imagine there would be no problem because I combined the layers into a new layer. Then I copied the group and created a new layer in my soon to be PDF file. I then pasted the group into the new layer. Hopefully that will "fool" the PDF utility (and any printing processes) into thinking this is one layer but I could be wrong.

Hi Ceal

there is also the move button in the layer gallery which moves all selected objects from editable layers to the current layer - they do not have to be grouped
    Last edited by handrawn; 24 July 2007 at 10:25 PM. Reason: messed that up should be 'layers' as highlighted... sigh
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks for the tip about the layers, Handrawn. I didn't use it this time because I was on a roll with the grouping but I will next time.

I'm happy to report that all 22 .xar pages converted perfectly to a PDF file. This is really going to be useful when sending graphics through e-mail. I particularly like the fact that I can now use Adobe security. So thanks everybody!

More good news! I just picked up my sample copy of the comic book from the printer. It was cleaner print coming from the PDF file than when I originally brought the hard copies!

I wasn't going to mention this because I didn't think it was going to work. This afternoon the print job failed. However, the printer told me the PDF failed because he tried to run it through Xerox proprietary software which he likes to use because it has more options. When he used the plain PDF, it worked fine.

For those who might read these threads at a later date, this was a black and white comic book and I used either a 6180 Xerox or Xerox I Gen3 printer. Hopefully others with color booklets or other printers have the same success.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Xtreme does not support multi-page documents. And I cannot remember how to append one PDF document to an current document.

But here is something that might work (if Xtreme has this option - see attached).

First check to see if you have this option 'Generate separate pages for each layer' available when you export a 300dpi PDF file.

If so, create a separate layer in the Layer Gallery for each page and name each layer with the appropriate page name.

Export your document with the Generate Separate Pages for Each Layer option checked in the Layers tabbed section.

Gary
    Thanks Gary
    Tom - Hwy101

Remember that if you've used variable stroke widths in your art, they don't export to PDF (or Flash) properly. You need to manually convert them all to shapes before export.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaven252 View Post
    Remember that if you've used variable stroke widths in your art, they don't export to PDF (or Flash) properly. You need to manually convert them all to shapes before export.
    I've not experienced a problem so far with this using xarapro and exporting as 300dpi pdf, but its not something I do a lot of so far - be interested to know what problems you have been having....
    Nothing lasts forever...

Ceal

nice when it all works out!
    Nothing lasts forever...