Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default This 3D effect possible?

Stumbled on this strange 3d image method and I wondered if it is possible to create this type of 3d effect with Xara by manipulating images in Xtreme Pro and using its flash animation options?

http://www.well.com/~jimg/stereo/stereo_list.html

Default Re: This 3D effect possible?

There is no easy or automatic way to do this. Xara Xtreme is a vector drawing program. And while you can edit bitmaps and create Flash movies, this is something that is better accomplished in dedicated 3D programs.

You should ask this question in the 3D Conference.

Gary

Telovne,

There are links to diffrent resources from the main page of the site you linked to. It's not really a "manipulated" image, it's a shot taken with a 3D camera: http://www.pokescope.com/index.html

The "effect" is easy enough to accomplish in any graphics application - it's simply a 2 frame animation, going back and forth between the two shots taken.

Neat effect though. Haven't seem that kind of thing before.

Risto

Quote Originally Posted by Telovne View Post
    Stumbled on this strange 3d image method and I wondered if it is possible to create this type of 3d effect with Xara by manipulating images in Xtreme Pro and using its flash animation options?
    I reckon one could - but it would take a lot of works and even then would not be accurate - it could not be, if working from a single image, because those animations use two different images - one as seen by the right eye and one as seen by the left eye.

Given those two images, then yes, it could be done quickly and easily in Xara one would think.
    "Intbel" ... "Can't" is not an option.

Compliance is futile. Resistance is futile. Just do your own thing an' ignore 'em.

Actually, now that I read the description of the thingy it sounds very similar to a Flash utility that a fellow named Dmitery made available in the Yahoo Groups Stereogram conference. You need to become a member to participate. The way the utility worked is the image kind of vibrated or went off and on and you could vary the rate until the image came into focus.

I just searched and did not find the viewer thing but I posted a question. If anyone comes up with a pointer for the program, I'll post it here.

Gary

I don't think this is all that complicated a process. What I've called a 'beam splitter" or a mirror device that gives 2 images on one slide, or a matched 2 camera stereo system would suffice. I don't have stereo images here at work or I'd cobble one up.

What I see is a two image GIF, that pops from the left-eye view to the right-eye view. They have to be simultaneous images or the subject moves (ie fire).

Next we have to consider a good stereo subject. That is a simple main subject at a middle distance. we need a foreground and distinct back ground (preferably in different focus plane) to give the 3D effect. As we focussed on hte main subject, it will remain in place with small differences in the perifery. Other things will move more or less dramatically given their distance from the left or right eye respectively.

from there you just superimpose the two images, match registration using transparency, then create the GIF.

...Doug
    ...Doug

OK Here is what I was looking for. Reveal-Hidden-3D.com

This on-line utility wiggles the image and you can adjust the focus and speed. The use on this site is for multi-panel stereograms, but I think it should work with stereo pairs as well.

It does not work in Firefox (more and more stuff does not it seems).

You can load your own image and then adjust the speed to help to see the hidden image.

Risto, this might be interesting for you to try since you have trouble seeing these images.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    OK Here is what I was looking for. Reveal-Hidden-3D.com

This on-line utility wiggles the image and you can adjust the focus and speed. The use on this site is for multi-panel stereograms, but I think it should work with stereo pairs as well.

It does not work in Firefox (more and more stuff does not it seems).

You can load your own image and then adjust the speed to help to see the hidden image.

Risto, this might be interesting for you to try since you have trouble seeing these images.

Gary
    Actually, it was while browsing for 3D Stereograms that I inadvertently hit that web page. I was tryng to find some I could focus on! So, thanks for that utility, which will allow me to cheat a bit and find tricky images a bit easier

I have Xara Xtreme not Pro but just wondered how far Pro's capabilites go.

Many thanks for info.

I'm no longer at the office and have access to my stereo shots. I found this very easy in Xara, given a stereo shot to begin with. You can do this with a splitter, two matched cameras, or if still life you can do a level shift to one side and take two pictures.

The shot with the Lego ship is probably animated too fast for my taste. The thrown leaf shot lacks clarity for me, and I really like the fire shot. Sort of a three bears series. <grin>

Some lessons learned:
    1. Xara does just fine and Corel photopaint just slightly less so.
    2. you need to follow the 3D rules - clear subject, close-middle-distant object breakdown in the shot, good depth of field differentiation, flat lighting
    3. to make this GIF animation work you need your subject close to center or it looks a bit contrived.

Hope this is useful. ...Doug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	swing animation 1.gif 
Views:	381 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	35328   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	swing animation 3.gif 
Views:	380 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	35329  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	swing animation 4.gif 
Views:	358 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	35330  
    ...Doug

This is very easy in Xara and any digital camera. Just take two pictures, slightly apart, then create a 2 frame animation (GIF or Flash) with one picture on each frame.