Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Threaded View

Default Re: Leaving XWD Because of Immense Frustration

Slavelle,

I hate to keep using up bandwidth here...but this seems like it is essential work.

I am so glad to hear youre having problems managing soft grouping too...Its nice to know im not totally alone.

Im having problems with soft grouping right now. Im building level 2 of my nav bar and I want to squish down the size of the buttons so there isnt a lot of unnecessary space above and below the text.

So, I stretched my soft grouped button on one layer...and wont you know...It doesnt stretch on the other layer! This is one thing that has frustrated me in the past. I wanted the soft grouping to synchronize the text characters, their centering if I changed that, and their centering in the box if I changed that, and even the box size if I changed that...I wanted soft grouping to help me with tracking....NO DEAL! As a matter of fact about all it seems to do for me right now is to copy the text string. If I correct the position or centering on one layer...the text stays at the old position and I have to manually match it up. Thats why I think cursors centering the text with align is soo good. For the last 7 buttons...I have had to rely on the "alignment of text manually" using the "align" function to have both layers match up and register. Cant tell you for sure how many tens of hours I spent in the past trying to match up the mouseOff and mouseOver states because soft group did not synchronize and register for me...I was hoping it would.

I wonder? Is there something im missing here??? Do you really have to manually "align" the text and any position changes in both layers manually by hand using the alignment (Shift Control L) feature...rather than rely on our ole friend Mr Soft Layers? I want to change the size of my box now...how would I get that size change to synchronize across the mouseOff and the MouseOver layers? The promise of soft grouping was to be able to synchronize across layers I thought?

Cursor...where's that microphone? Id be willing to overnight you one at this point!! Just Kidding.

PS EDIT: Cursor and I were typing at the same time...so I didnt see his text related post till after I posted this one here...Seems like Ole Mr Soft Group is not good at making long term friends.

So... How can I track Button Size Changes "across layers" if I change it in one layer...after its initial creation.
    Last edited by suzzie1234; 01 July 2009 at 07:56 PM.