Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Web Designer vs. SEO

Does anyone know of any discussions or tutorials about how to optimize Web Designer sites in terms of SEO?

Default Re: Web Designer vs. SEO

I wrote an article on optimizing for page speed which in turn helps seo, see:-
    https://www.sculptex.co.uk/optimizin...gle-pagespeed/
    As far as optimizing content is concerned, most general advice about seo in general should apply to xara aswell.
    I always advise my clients not try using 'tricks' as search engines are evolving to be more human-like, so make sure your optimizations make sense to humans!

Quote Originally Posted by sculptex View Post
    I wrote an article on optimizing for page speed which in turn helps seo, see:-
    https://www.sculptex.co.uk/optimizin...gle-pagespeed/
    As far as optimizing content is concerned, most general advice about seo in general should apply to xara aswell.
    I always advise my clients not try using 'tricks' as search engines are evolving to be more human-like, so make sure your optimizations make sense to humans!
    I'm especially concerned about whether Google, etc. will find page links that exist on popups and on different layers

Quote Originally Posted by harryd View Post
    I'm especially concerned about whether Google, etc. will find page links that exist on popups and on different layers
    A bot doesn't see the page as we do; it looks for HTML constructs so if your page has a link, it will know about it.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    A bot doesn't see the page as we do; it looks for HTML constructs so if your page has a link, it will know about it.

Acorn
    Is a popup on the same page as the main page, or is a popup a separate page. If it is a separate page, how does Google find it?

Google will scan the webpage source code and any links on popups should be present in this source code. So it should find the links and index the pages you are linking to. Just be wary that visible links/content could carry more weight than hidden links/content on a popup for example. So to be safe it's a good idea to have some visible links to your pages somewhere as well, maybe in the footer or on another page content or another website. Don't just rely on a hidden popup link for SEO.
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.

Quote Originally Posted by xtom View Post
    Google will scan the webpage source code and any links on popups should be present in this source code. So it should find the links and index the pages you are linking to. Just be wary that visible links/content could carry more weight than hidden links/content on a popup for example. So to be safe it's a good idea to have some visible links to your pages somewhere as well, maybe in the footer or on another page content or another website. Don't just rely on a hidden popup link for SEO.
    Thanks xtom, I'm thinking of adding an index page accessed from my home page, that contains links to all pages that I want Google to know about. Hopefully, that will take care of the problem.

Always remember that SEO is a marketing con. A well-designed site gets back-links and these are the mother lode.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Acorn, Harryd and Xtom,

So, I have the same question as Harryd above, will the Google bots (the ones that crawl for AdWords) find text on a pop-up layer of the home page, or even on an animated fly-in text box? I suppose so from your reply but just want to verify this.

Those Drill Sargents at AdWords are strict about the keywords being on the landing page, otherwise they slap me with Low Ad Quality/Rank and don't show the ad at all. But putting all of them there would make it a mess, I want to put the primary keywords visible and have the secondaries there as well but not initially visible. Thinking of a pop-up text box about what we do and where we do it, to include the secondaries.

Yes, as said above and other posts, the website content is the key and all those SEO offers look fishy to me.

Any insights on this will be much appreciated, I have to conquer AdWords somehow but so far they're winning the tug-of-war . . . and I still pay them regularly!

Thanks and Regards,
    Kevin in Barcelona

Although it doesn't answer the specific issues that we're talking about here, I found the "Google Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide" [URL="http://www.google.com/webmasters/docs/search-engine-optimization-starter-guide.pdf"] to be extremely helpful. Check it out if you haven't already read it.