Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How to split site to sub-site using Xara web designer?

Normally a simple website may contains 10 ~ 30 pages, so it's easy to upload to hosting server, and all files will locate in "../" root directory in server.

However, what happens if I have hundreds of pages? For example, I want to build a single page for each of my products. When I edit 190+ pages in my ".web" file, the Xara WD becomes extremely slow. More importantly, because all pages are uploaded to "../" root folder, then I get each product with a url of, say, "sitename.com/product1.htm", not "sitename.com/products/catagory1/product1.htm" which is what I dreamed for.

I have mentioned this question before. And thanks to @Acorn, he provided some ideas which I quote below. It's helpful, I tried it. But I really do not sure if I get it correct, because I did lots of manual work in the process of splitting website.

If you've read my reply to your other Post, splitting your site into sub-sites for each Product allows faster updates.

If it is going to turn into an all singing & dancing CMS then this approach will be too limited.

Create two websites:
    1. The top site has a master Product page (the one page bit). It has an Embed a website widget the size of your 4 x 3 gallery that also includes the bottom navigation bar.
    2. A child site with 44 (or more) smaller pages that each hold a 4 x 3 gallery and a specific navigation bar that reflect the gallery pages position. I would start with First - Previous - Next - Last. There are coding solutions to provide the Go to; the page position and count could be done in a variety of ways. Publish this site and check it navigates as you need.
    Back in the Product page, you include the details for the Placeholder and publish and test.

You build a sub-site called Product1.xar and publish it to a sub-folder called Product1.
    In Product1.xar, you name each page item#.

In your main site your thumbnails have URLs in the Web Properties > Link to Web or Email address of Product1/item#.
    You also need to set Open link to New window or tab.

Acorn
    Acorn, can you see this? Here is what I have done:
    • I build a "category1.web" file for each category of my products, which contains "product1.htm", "product2.htm" etc. Then upload it to "../products/category1" folder in my server.
    • do the same for another file "category2.web", upload to "../products/category2" folder.
    • In the "mainsite.web" file, I connect each picture of product to their own webpage. For example, link product1 to pege "sitename.com/products/category1/product1.htm" which is pre-uploaded.

Then each product has a unique URL, which is not in root directory. It works in my site.

However, question is:

1. I need edit and upload lots of ".web" files before I can edit the "mainsite.web". Because I have lots of product categories.
    2. Each "category.web" file I need to set the navigation bar which link back to main page, manually.
    3. After publish, the address like "www.Sitename.com/products/" "www.sitename.products/category1/" will show nothing in browser.

So Im really not sure if I get Acorn's method correct.

BTW, what is ".xar" format, Acorn?? I haven't met it before.

Default Re: How to split site to sub-site using Xara web designer?

In Web Properties > Link, have you ticked "Correct automatically"?

.xar is the file extension for Xara's flagship application; you don't need to worry, use .web in its place.

Do you have a published link to your site?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

XAR is the file extension for Xara Designer Pro and Xara Photo & Graphic Designer and Xara Page & Layout Designer files. WEB is the file extension for Web Designer files.

Both formats can be read by all Xara programs.

What I suggest is this. Create a folder with the appropriate name for each category, for example products to contain all products. Publish all materials that need to be in the products folder as a separate website, and name the home page index.htm or index.html (no difference between the two). Each folder you create will have an index.htm file as well as an index_htm_files folder, plus all the .htm (or .html) pages for that category.

From your main website, link to the appropriate folder. For example, let's say you want to link to lefthanded-widgets.htm which is in the products folder, then use a physical link to the folder and page. So if your website is my-company.com you will link to http://www.my-company.com/products/l...ed-widgets.htm

You will need to use FTP to upload the folders to your server and these additional folders will be in the same root directory as your main website.

Yes, I selected "correct automatically". But I still made a huge effort on setting different navigation bar to make sure everyone links to correct position.

In summary, I have.. 14 .web files. One is the main.web in root file, another 13 are located in respective category folder ( ../products/category1 to ../products/category13). For the whole website, I upload 14 times, is that normal??

You are asking my site URL? Yes, I have it in: http://honsungroup.net If you have time, could you please have a look at it? I will appreciate if you can give me any suggestions.

The website structure still has some problem.. I am still think about it. for example: http://honsungroup.net/product/ is a "waste" route, it has nothing in it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    In Web Properties > Link, have you ticked "Correct automatically"?

.xar is the file extension for Xara's flagship application; you don't need to worry, use .web in its place.

Do you have a published link to your site?

Acorn

Thank you gwpriester! I read it through, it's a great help!

I did the similar but a little different way, which makes my "www.mysite.com/products/" URL is not usable... That's because I didn't realized that a sub-folder in server root, is totally different, independent website. It needs a index.htm file, too. Thanks for reminder.

Ummmmmm I will think about this, and try to rearrange the structure this week.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    XAR is the file extension for Xara Designer Pro and Xara Photo & Graphic Designer and Xara Page & Layout Designer files. WEB is the file extension for Web Designer files.

Both formats can be read by all Xara programs.

What I suggest is this. Create a folder with the appropriate name for each category, for example products to contain all products. Publish all materials that need to be in the products folder as a separate website, and name the home page index.htm or index.html (no difference between the two). Each folder you create will have an index.htm file as well as an index_htm_files folder, plus all the .htm (or .html) pages for that category.

From your main website, link to the appropriate folder. For example, let's say you want to link to lefthanded-widgets.htm which is in the products folder, then use a physical link to the folder and page. So if your website is my-company.com you will link to www.my-company.com/products/lefthanded-widgets.htm

You will need to use FTP to upload the folders to your server and these additional folders will be in the same root directory as your main website.

Could I suggest that currently your site has a vertical menu "Shackles", "Turnbuckles" (which I call Bootle Screws) etc.

But at present if I go to Shackles and click on " KS01 ... " all it does is load a larger photo. Is that what you wish to achieve?

I'd suggest setting up a page that loads the KS01 Shackle with a larger image and an add to basket button. If not what's the point of suuplying a larger image?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks for your suggestion! Yes, in "shackles" page I just made a pop-up effect to each photo, that's because it was the first page I set up using XARA and haven't update it. But for another pages like "turnbuckles", "clips" etc. I linked every photo to another page, could you please go http://honsungroup.net/products/turnbuckles to see is this what you mean? Please let me know if any ideas come into your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Could I suggest that currently your site has a vertical menu "Shackles", "Turnbuckles" (which I call Bootle Screws) etc.

But at present if I go to Shackles and click on " KS01 ... " all it does is load a larger photo. Is that what you wish to achieve?

I'd suggest setting up a page that loads the KS01 Shackle with a larger image and an add to basket button. If not what's the point of suuplying a larger image?

Yes, it's a large site and definetly requires splitting the way you have. The Turnbuckles page is more what I'd expect but one thing I'd prefer is that clicking on a photo opened in the same window. At present because they're linked to _blank the visitor soon ends up with numerous browser windows open (especially as they are currently loading two browser windows in FireFox). Just open the product details in _self and place a BACK button to return to that products main page.

I much prefer the turnbuckle implementation than the Snap Hooks lay-out. I think if you want to do it this way then you need to add the Product Name & Number to the large photos.

Hope you don't mind my comments.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host