Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Extrude shapes in PNG, BMP files etc

Get the cheaper Xara Web Designer 9 Premium or its lesser brother (but do check this has the 3D Extrude).

Xara 3D Maker has an extrude but you would have to import your shape an outline EMF/WMF: http://www.xara.com/us/downloads/xara3d/ for Version 7.
    Look for free Xara 3d Maker (version 6, but check they are legitimate offers and not malware or stolen.

You could import a vector from Xara WD9 into Xara 3DM as an alternative.

XDPX9 also allows Blends and the 32-bit version can use Effects as well.

Acorn

Why not Photo & Graphic Designer? It is more suited to drawing. Personally, I find Web Designer Premium too dumbed down to be good for drawing. Photo & Graphic Designer has tools that work more like Designer Pro X9.

Thanks Gary,

Your logo is impressive.

I'll have a look at Xara 3D Maker.

All I need to do now is convert my PNG file to a vector file that is compatible.

Thanks

Sorry, but I still don't get it!

It's the cutting out of the shape from the PNG or JPEG file that is causing me problems.
    I understand that the file used by Xara 3D has to be a vector file, but I can't seem to get the actual shape to extrude in Xara 3D, only the rectangular outline of the image gets extruded.

Can someone explain the steps to get from the JPEG image on the left to the image on the right (they aren't exactly the same shape).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d15d.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	98858Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f3.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	98859

I have access to Adobe Illustrator CS4, Xara Designer Pro and Xara 3D Maker 7

Thanks

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...-Spinning-Logo PDF from Iamtheblues. Ignore the spinning logo bit, he details the process in XDP to get the image as you want it You should be able to extrude the shape in XDP without using Xara 3D
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Quote Originally Posted by clipper View Post
    Can someone explain the steps to get from the JPEG image on the left to the image on the right (they aren't exactly the same shape).
    I have access to Adobe Illustrator CS4, Xara Designer Proand Xara 3D Maker 7
    Thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Moulding.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	98861

clipper, use XPD only:
    • Import the JPEG. This sits in a rectangle so is no use for making a vector directly. Lock it.
    • With the Shape Tool, click on the edges of the shape, using the Ctrl key to force horizontal and vertical lines where appropriate.
      • You need an eye for the curves but it gets quicker and easier with practice. The middle shape is 16 points.
    • Change the fill colour to approximate the darkest tone. Set the line colour to brown.
    • With the Fill tool pick Fractal Clouds, Repeat inverted and adjust size and two colours to match your original.
    • With the Extrude Tool drag to length, rotate to position.
    • Tweak with the Selector Tool for skew.
    • Place of a bed of green.

Acorn

Thanks to everyone for their help, especially Acorn whose step by step instructions has given me exactly what I wanted.

Just need more practice now to get smooth edges!

Thanks again.