Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stray line appears when exporting as PDF or AI

When exporting a map to either PDF or AI (Adobe Illustrator), I inexplicably get a slight, straight, diagonal line that runs across the map. Can anyone help me diagnose the problem? Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Stray line appears when exporting as PDF or AI

I think it has something to do with the control points on the tiny island where the line starts. I selected just the island, then select the island with the Shape Tool and changed the Line Joins to Rounded and the line goes away.

I can't solve this for you, but I can tell you that it didn't happen in Xara 6 when I tried it just now. It did happen in Xara 9.

If you need to get some stuff done quickly, you could install an old trial version.

Here's the area
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	problem area.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	96842  

Hi,
    when I downloaded the xar file went to wireframe mode there is a hidden line displaying maybe that is the culprit
    Jim
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

I rounded all joints and caps for all the island and sandbar elements ... but the PDF export still shows the phantom line, Gary. Thanks.

Thanks M4R5 for the heads-up on using version 6. I'll install it and give it a shot.

Hey Jim. I didn't think of wireframe mode. I see the line that you reference. I deleted it, then exported to PDF ... and the stray line is still there.

The reason it is still there is because it is from the outline running around the island. Change the point size to .25 pts and the line will go away.

I suspect that the miter limit has been exceeded at .5 pts for something that small.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    I suspect that the miter limit has been exceeded at .5 pts for something that small.
    Note that I have edited that shape so that it now has round joints and round caps. I'm not sure that any bevel/miter restriction would be the problem. You're right that reducing the line width to 0.25px does make the line go away ... but it doesn't give me the effect that I want. I added two control points precisely where the sandbar outline meets the island, then broke the shape at those points and discarded the small segment. With that line selected I did an Arrange > Convert Line to Shape. A stray, straight line runs down and to the left from one of former endpoints ... then Designer locks up.

At the far left of the island outline there is a pair of control points that are very close together. The stray line on the PDF export appears to shoot from one of these two points. I deleted one of them, then exported to PDF. It worked great this time! While I have no idea what the actual problem was, I now have something that works. Thanks for helping me come to a happy ending.

That's weird.
    If I redraw that tiny island, then I don't get that line.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone