Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Could something like this be done in WD?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/interac...ex_embed.shtml

I have a colleage who has collected a significant amount of complex data over a long period of time. There are specific intervals of time with unique data (snapshots of graphs basically) which need to be displayed.

The link above has a format that might accomodate the data my colleague wants access interacively.

The elements that are attractive in the BBC example are:
    1- the timeline can be scrolled by panning sideways to access specific a time along the x axis.
    2- once and era has been chosen, the major events poppup which give detailed info.
    3- the condensed timeline "chooser" along the bottom is very cool but I think that would be out of the realm of easy implementation in WD6

Any ideas of how this could be done in WD6?
    Each interval of time could be a unique page, acccessed by clicking on a color band on the opening page

I was thinking the new popup feature might be used and desireable because popup layers wouldn't be required; however, I'm not sure if mouseovers could be used to trigger them as done in the BBC example.

Could Flash animations created via WD6 or XtremePro be something to use in such an interface?

Default Re: Could something like this be done in WD?

John to achieve the interactivity of the site in your link you would need to use Adobe Flash. The Flash ability within Xtreme and Web Designer would make creating something similar very difficult.

This is a case of selecting the right tool for the job. Unfortunately Xtreme and Web Designer are not up to that type of job.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Short of using Flash for your solution, think about how static pages could be developed that would offer the user a similar zoom and pan feature. Consider, for instance, about how it's done with mapping ("you are here"). Less dynamic perhaps, but still potentially effective. As a single example, consider how the Thomas Guide provides an overall view of a county. A grid is overlaid that points you to the precise geographical area that you want to more closely examine. Each "zoomed-in" view could allow 1) a return to the overall key map, or 2) a set of forward/backward buttons.

What about a simplified version? See Attached.

1- Can a tweek be made that would always anchor the time line naviagation bar to bottom and center of browser widow (no matter what the size browser's window is)?

2- Could a tweek be made to allow the user the option to click and drag in the view to pan horizontally (kind of like the tweek for popup windows but only horiziontally and without reqiring a popup layer).

3- The 1492 and 1996 buttons link to anchors. When clicked, they "Jump" to the anchor. Could a tweek be made to execute a pan smoothly to the anchor location, perhaps with a way to control the speed of the pan?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by jclements
    I have a colleage who has collected a significant amount of complex data over a long period of time. There are specific intervals of time with unique data (snapshots of graphs basically) which need to be displayed.
    Can you supply some sampling of your data and its display format?

Unfortuanately, it is proprietary. The results are 30day-plots, for a 6 month period, all the same size as far as their width and heigth.

If you could provide a made up sample graphic, it would surely simplify attempts to help.

Here is a simple example; there would be more parameters for each month than the 3 shown here.

I timed out with my trial install of WD6 so I had to use popup layers in XPro 5 rather that photo popups.

In this prototype, the Timeline Navigation Bar would somehow have to remain centered at the bottom of the browser window.

How about something like the attached file? You could use colors however you choose.

C:

Thanks for your example. It has possibilities.

John