Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Plain text link - mouseover question (WD6)

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    This question came up for WD5 also.
    The method I came up with cane be seen here:
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showpost...00&postcount=4

The method to override the global link colour simply removes the global link/hover/visited colours and retains the single colour you chose for the text.
    Thanks for this nice tutorial. It definitely works this way, although I had hoped it might be a bit less complicated in WD 6.

Regards, Hubert

Quote Originally Posted by sledger
    The method to override the global link colour simply removes the global link/hover/visited colours and retains the single colour you chose for the text.
    Is this really ALL that Xara intended to address? Is there no other way to get custom mouse/over & /visited colors? Yo, covoxer ... echo echo echo echo

Yo, yo... Hear you loud and clear.
    The idea of the link color override was to allow users to disable the text link effects. So that you can have a link that looks as a simple text no matter what.
    To have hovering colors you can set you custom colors in web properties dialog. Though these are global. If want a new feature, I suggest placing it in the dear Xara forum.
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    Yo, yo... Hear you loud and clear.
    The idea of the link color override was to allow users to disable the text link effects. So that you can have a link that looks as a simple text no matter what.
    To have hovering colors you can set you custom colors in web properties dialog. Though these are global. If want a new feature, I suggest placing it in the dear Xara forum.
    I discovered this oddity that if you disable link underline and common link colors and then enable link hover underline by separate CSS tweak, and then set custom color to link text, then browser preview shows the text in custom color while the underline is drawn with the common link color, so you have two colors per link showing at the same time.

Also what I discovered is that you cannot trust the internal (IE) preview engine in above kind of scenario. It doesn't show the underlinings correctly. You have to check them in a browser.

Better links control! Dear Xara here I come.

One way I found around this is to create the text on a popup layer over the top of the base layer. In order for the text on hover to look right and not show the edges of the text below it, you need to add a little rectangle behind the text on the popup layer. That rectangle should match the color of the area that surrounds the regular text on the underlying layer.

So, if you have a green background with white text on the mouseoff layer, on the popup layer, create a rectangle just big enough to cover the text underneath it and color it the same green. Now you can create your text (copy and paste in place from below) and color it the hover color. Then make sure to select the text on the mousoff layer and choose to have it show a popup layer on mouseover.

Your text remains text AND the hover effect looks right.

Not the cleanest thing in the world, but it works. Would be nice to have like 2 or 3 sets of colors for links, but this will get you around the issue with a LITTLE more work.

Hope this helps and presents another option.