Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Smile Will W6 solve the distortion problem

I would think that W6 will either eliminate or greatly reduce the web site distortion problem caused by updates to the website.

The ability to upload a single changed page is by itself an enormous time saver and worth the cost of the upgrade by itself.

But it implies to me that they have done away with the current graphics numbering scheme which is both the cause of the distortion problem and the reason why it is necessary to completely publish the whole web file for a single spelling correction. If I understand it correctly.

Additionally I would think this would largely do away with the situation where a change on one page cascaded through and corrupted the links on all following pages.
    It seems to me they must have come up with a way to treat the individual web pages as distinct entities instead as integral part of the whole.

This is an easy to use and powerful program as far as assembling and designing a web site is concerned.
    For me anyway this was more than offset by the major flaws I have complained I about. At least I regarded them as major flaws.
    I am thinking and hoping this latest version has eliminated them.

I'm definitely going to give it a try.

Default Re: Will W6 solve the distortion problem

Do so it is fantastic Some great improvements and new features and in answer to your distortion question YESSSSSSSSSSs thank goodness

Images exported in WD6 will always keep the original names allocated to them by WD so when you update and re-exprt there will be no filename changes to existing files !!!!!!!

Very cool indeed and very needed

Gice it a go you will love it

Hope that helps

Chris

I'm not clear on what you are referring to as "the distortion problem."

I wonder if you are just replacing a new page without uploading all the documents to your server?

Since the image names can change from publish to publish, if the HTML is looking for image 32.png and the new image 32.png, the result of a page change, is displayed, but at the previous H & W size, if this could be the case?

If so, then publishing the changes only for one page, or only the changes made for the entire document should solve that problem.

I don't know what program you are using.

You could not do what you are proposing in WD5.
    And even if you could that wasn't the problem.

The problem was not loading all the new data up to the server.
    That happened automatically - you had no choice.
    The distortion problem was caused because browsers cached the old data which was out of sync with the new data.

And it was out of sync because WD5 constantly renamed the graphics.
    And that by the way was why you had to upload everything not just the changes.

One of the new features in WD6 is that you don't have to do that anymore.
    And I am guessing that is in part because they have changed the way graphics are named.

See below.
    It's a new feature.
    Before it uploaded everything.
    Now you can do:
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Incremental Publishing
    ​When you publish your website Web Designer now uploads only the files changed since the last publish operation. This provides a huge performance gain when editing large websites, particularly if you have large attachments such as video files.
    Last edited by rschoensta; 26 March 2010 at 12:46 PM.

This issue has been fixed in Web Designer 6. Read covoxer's explanation here.