Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Pop-up layers and mouseover/mouseout effects

cursor -
    popup_layers - amended 1.xar
    I've made an amendment to your terse version and I'm feeling a bit stumped. In the MouseOver layer I've removed the web properties link to each photo layer by selecting 'Do nothing'. The MouseOff layer remains the same. What happens is that nothing changes and by that I mean there is no difference in the functionality when compared to your popup_layer.xar file - they perform the same - with and without the changes. How does Xara know that the first rectangle in the MouseOff layer is set to display the rectangle in the MouseOver layer?

popup_layers - do nothing first.xar
    The next problem I have is that I'd like to have an initial image displayed along with the corresponding MouseOver effect highlighted. At first I thought I'd managed to achieve this by setting the web properties link of the first rectangle in the MouseOff layer to 'Do nothing' which subsequently displays the image without clicking. However, this does not highlight the corresponding rectangle in the MouseOver layer which is associated with the image which remains in the MouseOff state. I'd obviously like to have this highlighted until another rectangle is clicked on.

I don't want to be a crushing bore with this and appreciate the help that has already been given so far but if you have a little time, could you please at least point me in the right direction ... ie: you're barking up the wrong tree and it can't be done ... Thank you.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Highfield
    How does Xara know that the first rectangle in the MouseOff layer is set to display the rectangle in the MouseOver layer?
    The mouseover is a special rollover layer whose objects are stimulated when their mouseoff companion element is moused-over. Xara identifies these rollover layers by looking for the word "mouseover" at the beginning of the layer name. Read through the section called "Layers, Mouseover (Rollover) & Pop-ups" in the Help file.

I'll respond to your second question in a sec.

It's soft grouping and ultimately down to the order of the stack in both the MouseOff and MouseOver layers. What I found confusing was that in your popup_layers.xar file, the first item in the stack is 'Text line' but I can see now that as that object does not have a web property link so Xara then takes the next object '1 Group' and can see that does have a web property link attached to it, therefore it looks at the first item in the stack in the MouseOver layer, soft groups both the MouseOff and MouseOver objects and displays the mouseover effect.

Note that softgrouping has no effect on a button's mouseover function. If the mouseoff element has a link assigned, then the mouseover component will be stimulated when the user moves the cursor over that element. But yes, the order of the layers is key. Any layer whose name starts with "mouseover" will act as a rollover layer for the first popup or static layer underneath it.

Quote Originally Posted by Highfield
    The next problem I have is that I'd like to have an initial image displayed along with the corresponding MouseOver effect highlighted.
    I could be wrong, but from your description, I think you'll want to employ the Locking Popups tweak that covoxer created. It allows you to absolutely control the display status for all popup layers. You can read about it here.

Thanks cursor. I have seen and been through the tweaks but it's not quite what I wanted. There is an post here which you participated in and provided 2 solutions. Unfortunately neither are exactly what I'm looking for which is an inital state of image displayed, mouseover effect on:- http://img2.pict.com/05/86/19/322712...itialstate.png

I'm wondering whether attaching a web proprty to the displayed image pop-up layer which links back to mouseover state might work? Hmmm ...

I've found two web pages which deal with moveable layers here and here. Both well worked examples and source code.

Here's yet another link to javascript which can handle objects such as text, pictures and div's.

I guess the next stage is to work out how the code can be placed into Xara's web properties placeholder form so that it all appears in the correct parts of the HTML document.

This is exactly what I want to do but I don't see how "Screen 3" is initially getting loaded when the website is launched. Is Screen 3 always there but getting hidden with Screen 1 and Screen 2 when they are chosen? Thanks.