Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pop-up layers and mouseover/mouseout effects

Is there a way of altering the behaviour of pop-up layers so that they remain visable until another mouseover/pop-up layer is triggered?

I'd like to show a series of photographs in a rectangle (pop-up layer) activated by mouseover on a smaller rectangle. So far I have managed to do this with the help of a Xara movie but for one rather irritating thing I'd not thought about ... the page opens without either a photograph being displayed or a small rectangle shown in a mouseover state! Also when I mouse the mouse away from the mouseover object the pop-up layer (and the photograph being displayed by the mouseover effect) disappears. Obviously this is all correct but not what I wanted to achieve.

What I'd like is for the page to open with the first photograph displayed and small rectangle highlighted and remain until another mouseover is triggered thus avoiding a blank page at any time. Is it possible to design it this way in Xara Pro 5 and if so, how on earth do I go about it?

I've attached the .xar file explicitly to show my ignorance

Thank you.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Pop-up layers and mouseover/mouseout effects

Please make sure you post new threads in the correct forum, it helps to get you the right answers and for future searches.

Thread moved to Talk Web > Web Designer / Xtreme

Yes, I should have thought about that

Ack! My eyes are still recovering from that brilliant pink. Are you some kind of sadist???

Check out The Tweak Set Lock Pop-ups. You just drag and drop the Lock Pop-ups placeholder onto the page and your pop up will stay open until another selection is made.

AND LOOSE THE PINK!!!

The LockingPopup tweak requires a bit more than just dragging it onto the page. You need to have an assigned name and a non text object set with the javascript which uses the same name you assigned as the closing hotspot. Otherwise you will just end up with a page full of unclosable popup layers

Here's a video tutorial from slavelle regarding the locking popup tweak:

Locking a Xara web Designer Popup Layer using the Tweakset

That is super! Thank you for the links chaps, I'll have a go at this today

PS The pink is a tad garish but that is because I tend use any old colours when trying things out so that I don't get tired of the colours that I'll finally use ... I'm now thinking lime green?

ACK!!!

gwpriester: BL-ACK??? Oh erm, ....

In the end I settled for the attached setup. I didn't use the lockable layer tweak this time but I have nearly achieved what I intended bar having the smaller rectangle button switched to a mouseover state (on) when an image is first displayed. Still, it's a breakthrough for me which I wouldn't have found were it not for the replies and the tweak links - Thank you.

I couldn't help but notice the number of layers that you're using. Perhaps you have specific reasons. Alternatively, you may want to consider something a bit more terse. In the attached example the only layers are
    MouseOver
    MouseOff
    Page background

I like terse better I shall use this as a template from now on - thank you.