Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Simple forms please

Just put together a form http://www.kineticfox.com/bookingenquiry.htm for my nephew's Xtreme-generated website (see separate post in main WD forum re mailer problem) and really surprised I wasn't able to do this in WD/XX. Rather than use the default field names in the form field HTML, we blanked these out and positioned the field names using XX text objects, but had to spend a lot of time trying to line up the titles and the entry boxes.

I've read C Moir's posts that other external programs already do forms very well and that XX wouldn't want to compete although simple forms may be implemented in XX at a later date. I'd disagree -I think XX could do them an awful lot better by allowing use of customised labels, better placement, consistency with the underlying page scheme etc.

This was my first attempt at hand-cranking any HTML and its relative simplicity suggested that it's something the whizz kids at Xara could knock up in their tea break ;-)

Default Re: Simple forms please

Hello

Well done at at least trying to crack this yourself and from the look of it your nearly there, it does however not display correctly in Firefox see attachemnt below.

Web forms a re a subject that has been discussed on these forums many many times, and the conclusion has always been that there are many many many form generators out there from free ones to paid ones, I use Coffeecup WebForm, its a great piece of software really easy to use and you can generate some very nice looking functional forms with it then simply paste the generated html into a placeholder in Xara.

I dont know if form functionality will ever be introduced in Xara Im not even sure it would be that popular to be truthful most of use already have other software or other sites we use for forms anyhow.

If you do a quick forum search you will find lots and lots of free resources for forms in the long run they will make your life much easier.

Hope that helps

Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	form.JPG 
Views:	148 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	70618  

You can pretty easily make the "text labels" say whatever you want them to. Using a combination of Xara text things and the HTML and trying to get them to line up in more than one browser is going to be an exercise in frustration.

You can just make your html table two columns instead of one, and in the first column, just put syour text. It's not technically a named field in the form, rather some text that happens to be in the cell next to the input field.

One of the rows might look like this:
    Code:
    <tr><td>Your Email address:</td><td style="width: 391px"><input type="text" name="email" size="25" /></td></tr>
    This should line up in most browsers correctly, as it's pretty standard code. I have noticed these html tables in a placeholder seem to bleed out of their container when viewed on an iPhone or a Droid for some reason. They still work right, but they extend further than their container dictates. Haven't really had a chance to figure out why this is.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by pbready View Post
    Just put together a form http://www.kineticfox.com/bookingenquiry.htm for my nephew's Xtreme-generated website (see separate post in main WD forum re mailer problem) and really surprised I wasn't able to do this in WD/XX. Rather than use the default field names in the form field HTML, we blanked these out and positioned the field names using XX text objects, but had to spend a lot of time trying to line up the titles and the entry boxes.

I've read C Moir's posts that other external programs already do forms very well and that XX wouldn't want to compete although simple forms may be implemented in XX at a later date. I'd disagree -I think XX could do them an awful lot better by allowing use of customised labels, better placement, consistency with the underlying page scheme etc.

This was my first attempt at hand-cranking any HTML and its relative simplicity suggested that it's something the whizz kids at Xara could knock up in their tea break ;-)
    Absolutely know they could. Desperately hope they do SOON along with Navbars.

Xara needs to get on board with adding form functionality to the program. Web forms are a given in any website build and every other program provides the ability to create form from within the program without having to rely on third party sources. Antenna has great form capabilities.

Default Re: New in Web Designer 6

Drag 'n' drop Widgets from the Designs Gallery, and a new Widget library
    ​New sections in the Designs Gallery provide a wide range of 'widgets' which can be drag & dropped onto your website. The Widgets provide interactive website add-ons ranging from movie players, to e-commerce features (e.g. a 'Buy' button to sell goods or services from your website) Forms, Maps and lots more.

http://www.xara.com/us/products/webdesigner/whatsnew/

Pasting the widgets into placeholders works great except. When it comes to adding an audio player. If you click on a different page it stops the music because it is loading a new page. Wish there were someway around this.

Dirtwad, Off-topic
    However I have started a new thread which might help you regarding music.

Audio plays across pages
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...726#post361726