Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default newbie, please help!! drop down titles

Hi,

I have used the drop down title from one of the xara tutorials but after adding tow of them I preview the page and when i hover over the main title both of the drop downlists activate.I cant get it so when you hover the mouse over one only that one drops down.

Its driving me mental!!

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Martin

The tutorial I used is based here http://www.xara.com/news/march09/

Default Re: newbie, please help!! drop down titles

Perhaps Covoxer can help (or whoever created the tutorial), trying to take apart that file causes WD to crash for me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	av.png 
Views:	117 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	69981

The tutorial date is the same month as the release of WD (March 09).
    The Web Designer version used for the tut' is 5.0.1.7886 DL
    My current version of course is 5.0.2.10712

Hi Martin,
    you have to create separate pop-up layers for every menu you have.
    In the tutorial the menu is placed on the "Menu" layer and uses "Mouseover menu" layer for mouse over state of menu items. If you want to add another menu, you have to create new layer on top of all others, give it any name you like (may be "Menu1" for example) and one more layer on top of it called "Mouseover menu1". To figure out what to place on these layers, look at the example menu.
    Finally, link your new button to this new pop-up layer (web properties dialog, Mouse-over tab, show popup layer option).
    John.

Many thanks.

Im gonna have to accept defeat, I cant grasp the layer thing at all. I may have to wait for a tutorial with some screenshots. Its a shame as the menu looks great on the page its being used on. But I need around 4 of them.

Its the new animations and layer stuff that I struggle with at the moment.

Thanks for the advice, Ive got a lot to learn!

Martin.

Dont give up just learn step by step, follow John's instruction's if you get stuck come back and ask questions NEVER give up ever that wont solve anything.

Go learn it can be fun

Ii promise I'm trying.

I just managed to make some lovely drop down lists with sth dhtml and manu maker but once I make them I cant get them to work in xara. I thought you needed to place the html codes in the placeholder tab but when I preview I cant see anything.

Thanks for everyones help with this. Once I have done it once I will be ok!.Promise.

All the best.

Hello

I take it your talking about Xara Menu Maker? If so you may find this helpful:

http://support.xara.com/index.php?_m...articleid=2741

Also if you utilise the search function on the forum and type in menu maker there have been a few posts from people in your position with lots and lots of insights from other members you may find that useful as well.

Well done on not giving up your sense of achievement when you get it right will be coooooooooool

Chris

Many thanks. I have tried this but when I preview the site where the menus should be show nothing. Very strange but I just cant get it to work.

Best wishes, Martin.

Hi Martin,

Why don't you post your .web file so the gurus can see where you might be going wrong. I assure you, it will be very informative for you. These guys and gals are really good at what they do and can find almost every problem that has arisen.
    Ed......:-)

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
    -Gandalf (from Lord of the Rings) - Xara s/w - Xara Designer Pro X11

I can't seem to properly read the SimpleMenu.web file from that tutorial (using either Web Designer or Xtreme). The message that I get from WD is, "That file is not recognized by any of the installed filters."