Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 17 of 49 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Default Re: Fantasy maps created using Xara Xtreme

I've started work on a new map, this one for the December Mapping Challenge at the Cartographers' Guild - create a Dragon's Lair. Rather than my usual hand-drawn style, I going for more photorealistic work - photo textures and Xara exclusively. I see it as a cavern in a cliff-face along side a lake. I've got the basic cavern layout done, as well as some ground detritus - elevation changes, pool of water (dragons need to drink too, eating cows and knights just make you thirsty), boulders and gravel.

I plan to add a platform near the entrance where the local princesses get chained as 'sacraficial lambs', perhaps some burnt knights, their charges and older skeletons, I also have to create the treasure pile in the furthest back room. I will place a grid and labels when I am done. This should be fun!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dragons-lair-thumb.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	176.7 KB 
ID:	85833

Enjoy!

Michael

another excellent map!
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

That is a really impressive looking map....wow!!!
    Ed......:-)

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
    -Gandalf (from Lord of the Rings) - Xara s/w - Xara Designer Pro X11

Thanks!

I added a few more rock piles, gravel, some skeletons, more stuff underwater - and the dragon's hoard. Still lots to do, will do more tomorrow. This is just for a contest with no prize beyond a badge on the website - so it's just for fun, but I enjoy the exercise. I'm thinking about some fancy border too, but that won't be until the end.

When I finish, I'll post a link to the full sized map - like I used to, earlier in this thread.

Name:	dragons-lair-more-thumb.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	182.7 KB 
ID:	85843

I haven't been on TalkGraphics for quite some time. From looking at the quality of the illustrations posted within this thread, it looks like I'm losing out! Mapping with Xtreme/Designer is, by the way, something that I'm VERY interested in. I've tried my hand at some map illustrations for a book that's currently in the final editing stages and would be interested in learning some of your methods.

I really enjoyed the "Celanta small continent map" attached to post #9 in this thread. The one attached to the preceding post is also impressive. Thanks for sharing so much excellent work!

I've got 3 mini-tutorials with links posted somewhere around page 5 or 6 (I'm not going to look, but they are there), which might give you some pointers on using Xtreme/Designer to help you create your maps. As long as you master beveling in Xara, many of the techniques I use for mountains and canyons are fairly easy to do. Of course you'll need a good set of textures to use of rocks, plants, whatever - or play with fractal color mixes as in my hand-drawn style. I have had years of practice in mastering these techniques, but anyone should be able to use Xara to create maps. It's not that hard if you know what you're doing.

I might be able to squeeze in a map commission for your book, if I can find the time between other publishing work - though I'm not cheap, but cheaper than you might think. Send me an email: freerpgmaps (at) gmail (dot) com if you're interested.

Michael

I too am a member of the Cartographers' Guild forums, Michael (previously quite inactive, however). I'm 'cursor' there as well. What is your user name at the CG forums?

Quote Originally Posted by cursor View Post
    I too am a member of the Cartographers' Guild forums, Michael (previously quite inactive, however). I'm 'cursor' there as well. What is your user name at the CG forums?

'Gamerprinter' is my call sign on most website forums and at the CG (even here), where I'm not necessarily promoting my name professionally...
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 09 December 2011 at 05:00 PM.

Next update, almost finished. I added the last details: a platform near the entrance where princesses are sacraficed to the dragons, a half submerged ballista from a failed assault on the dragon, and ...er... dragon dung and urine in a kind of offal chamber in top right.

I changed the background parchment to dark gray - I think it better draws the eye to the cavern chambers.

Finally threw in a border, though I may change that. I do like the corner pieces, which are based on an Anglo-Saxon brooch I found online for reference. Since I'm sure you cannot see the details I'm speaking, I added an image of a single brooch design.

Almost done!

Michael

Name:	saxon-brooch.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	85896Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wyrm-sign-thumb.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	224.7 KB 
ID:	85897

excellent work, a pleasure to watch
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.