Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default update repeating objects

Hi,
    I am learning and learning and trying to do whatever the teachers says.
    But the option Update repeating objects does not work as it should. So if I make my arrangements on the first page and input the second, I cannot repeat the arrangements.
    Only if I copy and paste. But then I cannot use the different types of the same theme.
    Thanks!

Default Re: update repeating objects

Quote Originally Posted by tamutka
    the option Update repeating objects does not work as it should.
    1. Create, then position your items that you want to be repeating objects.
    2. 'Copy' (Ctrl+C), then 'Paste in place' (Ctrl+Shift+V) at any alternative target pages.
    3. After making changes to a repeating object, you can update all instances (on other pages) by simply doing an 'Arrange > Update repeating objects'.

As an alternative to step 2 above,
    Quote Originally Posted by Xara Xtreme 5 Help
    If you use the Repeat on all pages menu option described above this automatically creates an appropriate Repeating:AutoRepeat name and applies it to all copies, so from this point on it will be updated when you select 'Update repeating objects'
    Also,
    Quote Originally Posted by Xara Xtreme 5 Help
    Update repeating objects only copies the repeating object to those pages that already have it.

Thread moved to Web Designer / Xtreme forum.

Please take care where you post.

Instead of posting a new thread, I will pop this here. I have used the "Repeat on all pages" option for my top menu buttons, and then set the Web Properties to point them to the pages they go to. I used "Update Repeating Objects" to update them.

My problem is that the buttons on some pages updated, but they don't work. The Web Properties show them pointing to the correct page, but they do not become links. The curser stays a pointer. EVERY button was created the same, and I used the Repeat on all pages function to create them.

Here is my site Dorcraft Industries

This indicates a problem with the repeating objects, or something else?

OOPS, I used XX5 for the site.
    Just call me Grandpa Geek!
    Written in Comic Sans just for those fools protesting it should be banned.....LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by cursor View Post
    1. Create, then position your items that you want to be repeating objects.
    2. 'Copy' (Ctrl+C), then 'Paste in place' (Ctrl+Shift+V) at any alternative target pages.
    3. After making changes to a repeating object, you can update all instances (on other pages) by simply doing an 'Arrange > Update repeating objects'.

As an alternative to step 2 above,

Also,
    Thank you!
    Natasa

mac 173

If you paste two buttons using paste on all pages that are not part of a "soft group" (Arrange menu), then both states get pasted on the selected layer when you use paste on every page. If this is the case the mouse over effect will not function.

Check your original buttons to make sure that the mouse down and mouse over buttons are individually grouped (text and button shape, text and button shape) and each group is on the correct layer. Then make sure that both buttons are soft grouped. A Soft Group enabled buttons to be copied and pasted onto different pages but on the correct layers.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    mac 173

If you paste two buttons using paste on all pages that are not part of a "soft group" (Arrange menu), then both states get pasted on the selected layer when you use paste on every page. If this is the case the mouse over effect will not function.

Check your original buttons to make sure that the mouse down and mouse over buttons are individually grouped (text and button shape, text and button shape) and each group is on the correct layer. Then make sure that both buttons are soft grouped. A Soft Group enabled buttons to be copied and pasted onto different pages but on the correct layers.
    Ok, I think I understand that. Is there an easy way to see the soft groups? I remember having some trouble with some buttons and it was related to ungrouping soft groups, but I could not find a way to see all the objects and how they were grouped.

In other words, how do I see what is grouped together, and how they are grouped?
    Written in Comic Sans just for those fools protesting it should be banned.....LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by mac173 View Post
    In other words, how do I see what is grouped together, and how they are grouped?
    Only the Pro version of Xtreme 5 shows objects in each group (and groups therein) via the object gallery.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	og-pro5.png 
Views:	130 
Size:	15.1 KB 
ID:	69318

Yes, and which in my opinion makes the upgrade worth while all by iself.
    Ed......:-)

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
    -Gandalf (from Lord of the Rings) - Xara s/w - Xara Designer Pro X11

I will have to look into that. It gets confusing when there are several groups and soft groups in an object. Now I know why I had a hard time changing the color of the "mouse on" layer of a button......

Thanks.