Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Problems with Nav Bars Repeating Correctly

Have 5.02.

Have an 18 page site that is ready to go. I am having serious problems with the navbar repeating... and after working on it every way I can think of for 9 hours now...ive got to ask for help again.

I just re-did the site nav bar from the master page until it worked perfectly there. I changed several pulldown buttons and then checked links and verified that it is working just as I wanted. Fine. Im Happy.

I went to "update" all the other nav bars throughout the site and they came up with older version pulldowns. The master works great. I tried to get the repeating nav bar to work for hours... trying absolutely everything ive learned here in the last 6 months to make it work. No Deal. I couldn't believe the bar wouldnt repeat or update correctly.

My last effort was start from scratch. I hand deleted all 18 occurrences of the mis-behaving nav bars all through the site. I control selected the master nav bar...and gave it a name of Repeating: NavBar 12_17_09 and then told it to repeat on every page again on the cleaned up site. It repeated OK...BUT...The new pulldowns were still some older version! The pulldowns on the master nav bar where I initiated the repeat and update from... were just Perfect when checked them manually. All 17 other instances of the nav bar were something old version and wrong. I went into names and deleted all names and renamed the nav bar and tried manually cleaning and then updating the site again. No Deal Again. Still Wrong Pulldowns. Master Bar is Fine.

Whats up. What little thing am I missing?

I would post the .web file if necessary... but 25+ placeholders are all filled in with secure private paypal link information that I dont want to make public.

Would someone be able to try to help conceptually... without needing the .web file...or do I really need to dummy out all the secure stuff and then post it.

After 9 hours at this problem today id love to be successful with WD5.02 without putting in another 30 minutes to find and clean them all out.

Thanks if you can help.

Suzzie

Default Re: Problems with Nav Bars Repeating Correctly

Quote Originally Posted by Suzzie
    . I hand deleted all 18 occurrences of the mis-behaving nav bars all through the site. I control selected the master nav bar...and gave it a name of Repeating: NavBar 12_17_09 and then told it to repeat on every page again on the cleaned up site. It repeated OK...BUT...The new pulldowns were still some older version!
    Hi Suzzie.

It sounds like perhaps you failed to delete some of the nav elements (specifically those that define your dropdown menus. Did you have all layers visible and selectable as you went though the deleting process?

Hi Cursor,

Youre so kind. Thanks.

Im working on something like that now.

I tried several versions of how to select the master nav bar before repeating it...like control selecting it...or shift selecting it... which gave me different object counts BTW. That didnt make much difference. Then I tried the eyeball and pointer in the layers gallery to select all the elements and tried to repeat the bar with everything selected and every dropdown showing. Then I had to go and delete the selections manually 18 times. No Good. No Change.

I did notice that on one of my attempts this afternoon...that there were some artifacted dropdowns floating invisibly hidden on 1 page after I thought I had deleted everything on that page to make it fresh. Said to myself..ahah...maybe thats it! So I selected each one by hand and deleted them. I was previously sure that manually "control selecting" on all the repeated nav bars would "catch and clear everything out" in that space. I was surprised to see the artifacts there because they were NOT visible without hand clicking on every layer it seemed.

I guess what im hearing you say is "check closer". You might be onto something Cursor. Thank You. Ill look around even more.

On each page, as you look for elements to delete, make sure all layers are both visible and selectable. This can be done by clicking/activating the two buttons at the upper-right corner of the Layer Gallery. See attachment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	all_layers_selectable_visible.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	68538  

The repeating Nav bar has been a real problem.

The current methodology leaves much to be desired - first time creation is wonderfully quick but any subsequent updates are miserable time wasters

As I have many websites built with mulitple xar files (the websites are broken into logical categories) the Nav bar problem rears its ugly head quite often

Part of the problem I have found is the updating repeating objects - it is all inclusive instead of an update of just a specific repeating object. When making modifications to the "master" sometimes the update carries through automatically and sometimes it doesn't. Finish making changes to the "master" and if the automatic update didn't happen - clicking update causes many of the repeating objects to double up, it doesn't replace them but instead puts in an additional.

I now plan for a day just to update repeating objects - going through removing artifacts, removing the doubled up objects... ugh giving me a headache just thinking about it
    Last edited by charissepaula; 21 December 2009 at 03:30 PM. Reason: fat finger typing

Quote Originally Posted by charissepaula View Post
    The repeating Nav bar has been a real problem.

I now plan for a day just to update repeating objects - going through removing artifacts, removing the doubled up objects... ugh giving me a headache just thinking about it
    Ditto - 34 pages here and growing!