Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Re: Which type of computer do you use for work?

I only use one computer, an old Sony Vaio laptop. I need something new but can't afford it now. Frankly, I don't know why most folks don't use a laptop. I get just as much computing power with the portability and as beat up as my Vaio is -- including a case that's cracked in several places from being dropped, missing key tops, a CD burner that doesn't work anymore, and much more, but the darn thing still chugs out the work. I put electrical tape on the corners to both cover the cracks and provide some cushion against knocks and falls. It really looks like it's been around.

I put it in my backpack when I'm on my bike, take it on the airplane, plug it into the lighter in my car, I really appreciate the portability and the ability to work anywhere. My cell phone is my modem, so I can connect essentially anywhere, which is a big asset, too.

My next computer will be another laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by charliescoffee View Post
    Frankly, I don't know why most folks don't use a laptop.
    Quite a few reasons for this:
    1. Full size keyboard is more comfortable to use than what can be put into laptop.
    2. Same with mouse.
    3. Same with pen tablet.
    4. Larger monitor or even multiple monitors setup. Very convenient.
    5. Better ergonomic - laptop screens have smaller pixel size that forces user to look at it closer which is very bad for eyes and even spine, depending on where you sit.
    6. Better acoustic systems require size so are not portable anyway.
    7. You can modify desktop machine - add hard drives, disc drives, all the extension boards one may need.
    8. You can have more peripheral devices (printers, scanners, modems, cameras, tablets etc.)
    9. For quite a few folks gaming is important requirement, and that's not the strongest side of the laptops hardware (video board). And one may need a joystick or a driving wheel.
    10. Finally - with desktop machine you get more features/power for the same price.
    John.

Default Re: Laptop vs Desktop - your thoughts?

Charles and John, I have created this new thread to allow others to join the discussion re the pros and cons of Laptops vs Desktops outside of the Poll thread.

Ok. Thanks.
    John.

Laptops are very bad for your posture as you have to spend all of your time hunched over a relatively small working area. Also because of the design limitations they are never as fast as a desktop.

Also as coxover stated on the other thread the screen size limitations are prohibitive on a laptop, and obviously counter productive for design work. I'm currently using a 24" widescreen and will be thinking about 27" next time. I've never seen a 24" laptop but I reckon that it wouldn't exactly be a portable device.

A laptop is a useful standby for when you have to be out of your familiar working environment, but that's it. Mine hasn't been out of it's case in the last 3 months.

I have a laptop because it is much easier to just pick up and take when you are travelling, no figuring out what you need from your other PC. However, when I am at home I use it with a 26" monitor and a regular keyboard and mouse, so I have the best of both worlds.
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11

Hi,

I'm working from home and as my children are still small and my wife is out to work at different shifts,I have a laptop to make it possible to sit in any room.
    I have a new Laptop 18,4" and 1 gig dedicated ram for the video-card.
    It has a large keyboard with numpad.
    I use an optical mouse and a wacom tablet.
    It has 5.1 surround-sound build in.
    I have a big case for all the acc. that i want to take with me.
    The weight is a bit high,4 kg.

This is where i do my 90% of my work on,but still have a desktop in my designated corner of the house.

Hans

I have just bought an HP Probook 4510S. It has a 15.6" screen, 5 hour battery, and a full size keyboard, with a 500 GB hard drive and 4 GB memory upgradeable to 8GB. It has 4 usb ports, only weighs in at 2.59 kg and although a Spanish model, it has the facility to change the installation to an English version of Windows. At 449€ I thought it was a bargain. There are all sorts of user adjustable power saving measures to prolong battery life. It is getting about as much use in the short time I've had it as my Dell desktop. Great for sitting in the garden in the lovely autumn weather we are having, and it will be very handy during the many power cuts we get during the winter storms. I don't know how I managed without it.
    I regard the laptop as a very useful addition, but would not be without it's big brother. If I had to make the choice it would be the laptop in the event of a fire and getting it safely out of the house, but it's not a choice I'd like to have to make.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Laptops or notebooks are great for traveling. But my preference is desktop for serious work. As John points out, a bigger monitor is one key advantage. I have a 24 inch monitor which allows me extra space on each side for things such as my Google sidebar so I can monitor the time, calendar, stock quotes, get tweets and Facebook feeds, and my Pandora or XM Radio dialog. On the left I have my system icons and a few files on my desktop that I am currently working with.

I'm going to have to disagree with John ( Covoxer ) on a few points:

Mouse size: if you are using an external mouse rather than imbedded pointer , you can choose and use any mouse you want.

. Pen tablet: I use the same one on both my desktop and laptop computers, so this really isn't an issue.

-Acoustic systems: generally better in desktops than laptops, but you can upgrade to a Creative Acoustic card ( I use a Sound Blaster X-Fi express card ), and external speakers to improve your sound quality immensely.

- You can swap out hard drive and disk drives on laptops.

-as long as your laptop has usb ports you are not limited at all as far as external peripherals are concerned.

The main benefit of laptops over desktop computers is that laptops are very quiet!

That constant drone of all the various desktop fans can range anywhere from annoying to truly deafening!

It I had to do it all over again I'd probably go with a 17inch laptop with with a good graphics chip.

( such as those in the Gateway P-FX line )

- Andy