Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Frustrating Text Problem

There are two small text areas in my web file that have me stumped. They look fine in edit mode, but change completely in preview mode, and I can't seem to find the solution.

First area is the bottom paragraph on Page 1. I have it centered, scrolling the width of the page, but on preview, it scruntches up on the left side.

Other place is on Page 12. One line in red, "Victor Ramos, Mayor of Bishop", is supposed to be identical to the other lines, and it is in edit mode. But in preview, it shows a black background, as if it's highlighted.

File attached. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Default Re: Frustrating Text Problem

You forgot the attachment ..........
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Sorry...
    Attached Files Attached Files

oldtbone,
    They seem pretty simple (to me anyway). The first problem with the paragraph is that a browser can't render text as anything but text, it can't stretch text like you've done so it renders it as, well, text in it's normal dimensions. If it really needs to be stretched to fit, either group it and make it into a bitmap so it will stay exactly as shown, or start back at the original size and use the text tracking to stretch it out. It will still stay text but the letters are farther apart.
    Don't know the problem with the second issue, but I just hit Enter after his name and it went away. Try it? I'm no expert, but it worked when I did it.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jimhanus; 06 August 2009 at 02:46 PM.

Thumbs up Re: Frustrating Text Problem

Thanks, Jim. Usually the simplest ones are the most frustrating! Worked for me too! I just needed another set of eyes to look at it! Thanks for your time.

No problem.
    Don't know if you noticed, but your white background is 2747 pixels long on the 6 middle pages, so no bottom border as it runs off the page.

You know, I've been trying to fix that, but I can't find the bottom handle to move it up. I had forgotten that I had intended to re-address that problem.

In the first case, you've stretched your text horizontally by about 65% (changed its aspect ratio). When displayed as a web page, non-distorted text is displayed. You can force display of the distorted text by 1) selecting the paragraph, then 2) doing a Ctrl+G (or Arrange > Group). This will output the paragraph as a graphic.

With repect to the second issue, it's not clear at all what is going on. If I delete the last row of text (the miscolored name), then the coloring simply moves upward to the next name. If I backspace over all of the names up to the "Green & Gold Club - $25 - $249" line, then reenter a line of text, color it, and resize it ... it still comes out miscolored.

Click on the white panel, then go up to the tool bar and it will show you the width and height of it. Change the height to something manageable (smaller than the page) then resize it back to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by jimhanus View Post
    Click on the white panel, then go up to the tool bar and it will show you the width and height of it. Change the height to something manageable (smaller than the page) then resize it back to fit.
    OK, Jim, it took me awhile to figure it out, but I can say "I now have a handle on it!". Thanks for your observations!