Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gathering sites

Default Re: Gathering sites

Quote Originally Posted by Hymer View Post
    This method is very good, but the layers and web-properties didn't follow with .xar.
    I am using XX5 and each page I add when using this method retains its original layers and web properties.

And it is courious, the file is invisible when I add. I open the map, nothing there, but I add, and it appears.
    I don't really understand what you mean. Which file is invisible? When you say "add", are you talking about adding a folder to the Clipart/Designs Gallery or about adding a page from the Gallery to your web document?

I am talking about adding folder to the Design Gallery. I browse to the map, containing the .xar. I open it. It seems to be empty. I add it anyway. Then I open it in the Gallery, I can see and import the file without trouble and without layers.
    Last edited by Hymer; 05 August 2009 at 12:40 PM.

Of course, it's important to make sure that all layers are 1) selectable (not locked), and 2) visible prior to marquee-selecting. When at your target document, doing a Shift+Ctrl+V will place a copy of all affected elements on their proper layers. If those layers didn't previously exist, then they will be automatically created.

If you're still having problems, then perhaps you can attach the web page that you want to copy and I'll create a very brief video (using your file) that illustrates how very simple the proceedure is.

I am talking about adding folder to the Design Gallery. I browse to the map, containing the .xar. I open it. It seems to be empty. I add it anyway. Then I open it in the Gallery, I can see and import the file without trouble ....
    Yeah, that's how it works. I guess that's because Xara assumes that you know what (additional) contents you have and in what folder you placed them; so, folder browsing is all you need.

When you add a folder to the Gallery it's not really a problem because the folder and all its contents are added, but when you have added new content to the respective folder the Designs Gallery is not automatically updated. Then, you need to click 'Disc Designs', browse to the respective folder and click 'Update'. Especially when updating the Gallery, it would be helpful to see the folders' contents.

With regards to the layers not showing up, it works for me, even when layers are locked or invisible, and even with different-size pages. As cursor suggested, if you can't make it work, post some of the files you're trying to merge.

Boy, I did it now and it works! Thank you! Cursor, next time I try your method. But just now it is OK.
    Now I catch that it is better to make the whole the site as one .web. I suppose that it will be a huge collection with a lot of scrolling up and down when I work with it. I want to preview the actual page and not click and find. Can I "hide" the pages inside the same web I am not working with?

Glad to hear that things are working out now, Hymer!

No, you can't hide pages, but if you look at the right-hand side of the status bar at the bottom of the screen, you can see what page you're on. Hope that this helps a little.