Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Rectangle with "automatic" resizing?

I was trying to place a rectangle in a fixed spot on my web page, and have the rectangle be a specific size. But when I key in the X and Y locations, the size of the rectangle changes. When I fix the size of the rectangle, the X and Y locations change. Is there any way to be able to specify the exact location and size of an object without it "automaticallly" changing?

Default Re: Rectangle with "automatic" resizing?

Hi Vic and welcome to the conferences.

This does not sound right. One should have no effect on the other.

That said.

Enable your screen rulers (Ctrl L). Drag guidelines from the ruler and snap then to the top and left so the intersection of the two guides is where you want to position your rectangle, then drag your rectangle to the two guides.

You can also enable Snap to Grid and drag the upper left area of the rectangle.

Is anyone else able to confirm the XY location/resize thing? I just tried it and it works fine for me.

Modifying the Position X Y values will not resize your rectangle (not in Web Designer, nor in Xtreme). It sounds to me like you might be changing the Size W H values instead.

If you have the "aspect ratio" padlock engaged (just to the right of the % scale box in select mode), every time you update one number (and press ENTER), the other number will automatically change to keep that ratio. Disengage this button and you can freely change each number without the other changing.

Combine this with the fact that objects have a center point modification by default, when you grow your object, it grows from the center. If you click the upper left part of the grid for the object before you resize, it will resize from that point.

Make sense? Does that help?