Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question MouseOver with HTMLText objects

Please see the attached file. Why does the text of button 'Test 2' disappear when you mouseover?

Default Re: MouseOver with HTMLText objects

Ummmmmm......

What attached file?

Ed......:-)

Red face Re: MouseOver with HTMLText objects

THIS attached file!
    Attached Files Attached Files

One difference between the two buttons is that the text on Test 2 has been assigned the name "HTMLtext", which instructs Web Designer to not convert it to a graphic on export. This is true for both the group on the MouseOff layer and the group on the MouseOver layer. You can make it functional by
    • Remove soft-group
    • Ungroup both layers' groups
    • Select the text, then 'remove' the name 'HTMLtext'.
    • Re-group & re-soft-group

Hi Curtis, thanks for the reply. The use of HTMLText was intentional - I was interested to see how the button would appear with the text not being exported as part of the graphic.

I appreciate that grouping will solve this issue (this was what I did on the Test 1 button) but is there a reason why keeping the text as pure text fails on the mouseover?

As far as I can see, standard text (not converted to a graphic) will NOT show up on a roll-over layer. See the attached (super-simple) button. If not a bug, I'm sure that we'll hear from some authoritative source, offering an explanation and solution.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	temp.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	63781  
    Attached Files Attached Files

But text WILL appear on a popup layer. So, you can place the text up there and make the object on the mouoff layer trigger that popup layer. The only consolation you will have to make relates to the fact that this isn't the same as the automatic text changing via the website properties. The text you put there, even though the same size and font, but in a different color, will not completely cover the underlying font and will look bad. On the popup layer, you will need to put something behind the text to hide the contents of the layer below. If you are using a solid background on the mouseoff layer, this is easy - just create a small rectangle in that color on the popup layer behind the text. (or if, as it sounds in your case, you are replacing the whole background button object on mouseover, there really wouldn't be anything else to do).

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by slavelle; 20 July 2009 at 03:47 PM. Reason: add clarification

Is this apparent bug already on Xara's fix-list?