Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Multi-layer one page website

Hi all,
    I've been trying to create a multi-layer one page website but still struggling.
    Has anyone found an easy tutorial out there or created a template they might want to share?
    Thanks for your help.

Default Re: Multi-layer one page website

When you say "multi-layer", do you mean multiple pop-up layers? If so, how should the layers behave and what elements will they house?

Recently Jambo showed his multi layer one page website.
    'I have just tried out a quick site set-up using an XWD template and multi layers on a one page site for a friend and it appears to work ok...

www.raymondmurray.co.uk'

Hope he doesn't mind me linking the site. I think it looks really good.
    Each button links to a layer as supposed to a page.

Yes these are popup (hidden) layers linked 'onclick'

You will note however that clicking anyware on the page will return to the home page.
    Another problem is the 'New Black Works' layer has popup photos which when closed by clicking the red/white close button will also return you to the home page, thus forcing the visitor to go back again to the 'New Black Works' link in order to continue looking at the other images.

Personally I would use and <iframe> for this.

Another problem might be that while the text on layers might be indexed by Google, the URL to that layer won't. Making it confusing for a visitor.

I created this mini-gallery page all on one page.

Attached is the layer gallery. Each image, plus the about the artist and the contact info is on a separate layer.

The three buttons on the are linked internally (the first two) and externally (the third).

Each of the thumbnail images links to a specific layer containing the larger version of the image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	layers.gif 
Views:	314 
Size:	6.6 KB 
ID:	63390  

Hi guys...

Your comments are duly accepted... yes I was aware of the weaknesses of using a pop-up layer then of course it will return to the base page... and indeed the addition pics on the black pics layers, forces you to go in again to look at another enlargement! Also, the SEO problem, too.

This was just a quick site creation (30 mins) from a XWD template, just to help a chum and as an experiment in understanding this software... which I find is excellent!

Gary... your one page site is excellent, too and reading through it I note you are another 'old-timer'...But me, I am a 'really-old-timer'... started back in mid-60's on main frames... seen it through the advent of PC's, Mac's etc... now long since retired... but there is always something new to learn and I have always enjoyed the challenge!
    Best Wishes to You!
    Jambo
    There's no heavier burden than great potential!

Gary, that looks great!
    Can you explain the steps on how to do popups like that?
    What are the steps?
    I've placed thumbnails on a page and tried to link to popups on another layer, but it's not doing what it's supposed to.
    I'd appreciate the help.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Merlin_AZ; 10 July 2009 at 04:52 PM.

Create your thumbnail images.

Then create a corresponding pop up layer for each larger image.

In Web Properties > Link select the appropriate popup layer from the Popup: list. And press Apply. Nothing happens if you do not press Apply.

You can alternatively use Link > Mouse-over > Show Popup Layer.

The difference is in the first case, you have to click the thumbnail to see the larger image. And the larger image remains visible until you click on the page away from the image.

In the Mouse-over > Show Popup Layer, the large image appears when you mouse over the thumbnail and disappears as soon as you mouse the cursor off of the thumbnail.

Gary, thanks for the response!
    It sounds like the thumbnail and popup are exactly the same file.
    If that's the case, how do you show text associated with the popup that's not on the original thumbnail?

how do you show text associated with the popup that's not on the original thumbnail?
    Merlin we have discussed this in your earlier thread.

Please revise

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=39964