Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default XWD vs WYSIWYG Web Builder

I've been a very big fan of XWD since it first arrived a few months back and wouldn't hear a bad word said about it - I really thought it was the dogs dinner.... but I just wondered what other forum members had to say about a piece of software called WYSIWYG Web Builder from http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com

I stumbled across this program which basically is very similar to XWD but .... dare I say it, much more easy and much more powerful, especially when it comes to making built in php forms as well as a myriad of other things like being able to simply insert an object, be it video, image, rollover buttons, flash, activeX, java, inline frames, layers, html etc etc etc without having to put anything in a placeholder.... and best feature of all...individual pages to work on in the main program so that if you make a small adjustment with just one element of your site then just that element gets uploaded and not the whole website!

If there's a down side I've not yet come across it but maybe you guys have already looked at this program and know something I don't? Maybe it's the html output or image handling. but after having used both now they are extremely good pieces of software but Web Builder has apparently been around for years maturing like a fine wine to it's current version 6!

Steve

Exclamation Re: XWD vs WYSIWYG Web Builder

hi
    my updated avg zaps the irsetup file of this program - at under 4Mb the thing looks a bit fishy...
    God bless,
    Gabriel
    '... and then there was Corel Draw v.2 for MS Windows 3 on my superfast 286'

Default Re: XWD vs WYSIWYG Web Builder

Hello,

I own both programs and there are surely pros and cons to each. I like WB6 b/c of the easy to integrate navigation features and the ability to work on individual pages as well as their FTP options. On the other hand, I am "graphically-challenged" and XWD offers many more graphical objects and the ability to create more complex graphics all in one program. In addition, repelling text is a really nice feature. I asked a question a while back about what's coming in XWD's next release and I know they can't share everything, but from what I've been reading it sounds like FTP and navigation upgrades should be in future plans. Any additions regarding php, dB connectivity, "friendlier" script/javascript placement (like WB6), and eCommerce would be tremendous nice to have's - just my 2 cents!

jagweb7

Hi ggsmit and jagweb7,

I think the AVG gremlins are at it again with another false positive stopping you from trying out an excellent piece of software - and don't knock that it's only 4MB - you'd be amazed at what's in there! and regarding the graphics capabilities of WB6 it's all there under your mouse in the toolbox or for clipart well there's a heck of a lot of that about for free.

It's definitely worth a road test.

Steve

I've used WWB since version 4 and yes it is superb value for money but it's horses for courses. XWB certainly has a way to go in some areas, like ease of navigation and FTP but graphically it is streets ahead. We shouldn't lose site of the fact that XWD is a fledgling in the web design stakes compared to WWB. The latter had an upgrade to 6.1 come out a few days ago with some interesting new possibilities.
    Last edited by w00dy; 09 July 2009 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Corrigenda
    "Second class fairway is better than first class rough!"

Quote Originally Posted by Woody
    XWB certainly has a way to go in some areas, like ease of navigation and FTP but graphically it is streets ahead.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you meant to say XWD here.

Hi Woody,

I agree that XWD is a much newer product that hasn't fully evolved - and it does has a few more "graphical" tricks on offer but I guess for me personally I tend to work on images and flash externally (in other dedicated programs) and then import and construct.

In this respect I find WB better in all other areas especially regarding "layers".
    In WB this is called "events" and means that you can be really flexible with all kinds of multiple show or hide actions on any object with events like mouse "over" "out" "focus" "keydown" "losefocus" "doubleclick" etc etc
    Even the ability to simply "lock" objects to the page is terrific and the "extensions" that add much more flexibility. I'm surprised that some of the more hardened XWD tweak coders haven't relished the opportunity to, er, tweak!

The killer feature for me though was the built in form creator toolbox. This had previously always been a real thorn in my side having to rely on code pasted into my site from third party websites for my feedback form, but literally within 20 minutes I had my own "php" custom made form - tightly integrated into the site - with a "captcha" text box... To make this form was absolute simplicity itself.. I can't tell you how pleased I am to be able to keep this form, features and operation - inside my own site!

I really hope that XWD will catch up is all I'm saying as I've now, reluctantly, for the time being - jumped ship - even starting a site from scratch in WB that I'd half finished in XWD!

Steve
    Last edited by harrismail; 09 July 2009 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by harrismail View Post
    I guess for me personally I tend to work on images and flash externally (in other dedicated programs) and then import and construct.
    This closes the question for you. You shouldn't use XWD, it's not designed for such a workflow.

To moderators: please consider moving this thread to the offtopic or "Site Design and Publishing" forum as it is, infact, a description and discussion around WB which has nothing to do with XWD. Thank you.
    John.

I agree John.
    Thread moved.

I understand the thread move - good luck guys - I'll be keeping an eye on how things develop with XWD - with a view to moving back of course :-)

All the best
    Steve