Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Web Design possibilities in Xtreme 5 ? Is editing the pages possible ?

Hello to all.

I am making tests with the v5 Xara Xtreme these days, and I am particularly testing the Web Designer possibilities. Xara seems to be a very interesting "wysiwyg" tool, with a "graphic approach" that was appealing for me.

For that I am making an upgrade-test of my own website.

I guessed that Xara could be a little "short" with evoluated web fonctions, but I was expecting a possibility to make changes in the final Xara pages in another soft (as Dreamweaver for instance).
    Then, I didn't get a form tool in Xara (to take the simpliest example !).
    So I was expecting to open the page in Dreamweaver, and make the necessary changes there.
    Unfortunatly I am deceived when I see the page opened in Dream. Everything seems to be "bloqued", unpossible to edit.

Did the page created into Xara are condamned to be non-editable pages ?
    I am too new in the Wed Designer tool, perhaps I lost some of the possibilities... ?

Thank you for your opinions on this tool....
    Stéphane
    Graphisme, illustrations & Webdesign - France
    creavisa

Default Re: Web Design possibilities in Xtreme 5 ? Is editing the pages possible ?

Stephane, XX and XWD are designed to be wysiwyg web editors and any future editing/amendments are intended to be carried out on the original .xar / .web files, not in third party programs like Dreamweaver or text editors like Notepad. Most additional features like forms can easily be placed on your site using placeholders. Do a search on "forms" in the WD forum to find out how.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Default Re: Web Design possibilities in Xtreme 5 ? Is editing the pages possible ?

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post

Most additional features like forms can easily be placed on your site using placeholders. Do a search on "forms" in the WD forum to find out how.
    Ok I go and have a look in the Web Designer forum... Thank you

(but what do you mean by "placeholder" please ?

Edit : there is a new topic about the forms in WD -> http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=39823
    good new...
    Last edited by stephane_fr; 09 July 2009 at 01:12 PM.
    Stéphane
    creavisa

What are placeholders?
    • Open Xara Xtreme 5 Help.
    • Click the Contents tab.
    • Scroll to about 2/3 down the list of topics, until you find Web Graphics and Web Sites.
    • Click the adjacent + sign.
    • Click on Web Properties Dialog.
    • Click on Placeholder Tab. Here you'll find a wealth of information about placeholders.

Hello.

Thank you everything is here indeed.
    I now go and traduce all this

TY very much
    Stéphane
    creavisa

Hello again.

Here is what I did :

- I create a complete form in Dreamweaver
    - In Xara I create a rectangle at the size and place of the form I want in my form page.
    - I point on this rectangle, and I use the "placeholder/replace with HTML code" and I put the code I did in Dream (from "<form name=" to "/form" in the page).
    - I create a new small rectangle, that I called <head> ("names" properties dialog) - suggested by slavelle here : http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...t=39823&page=2
    - I use the "placeholder/replace with HTML code" and I put the code that was created in Head before in Dream.

Now it works
    Stéphane
    creavisa

Quote Originally Posted by stephane_fr View Post
    Thank you everything is here indeed.
    I now go and traduce all this
    Hi Stephane

Delighted that you're trying out our favorite application!

Out of curiousity, are you using an automatic translator of some sort? I'm asking because I don't think that "traduce" in its current usage is what you meant to say. Fortunately, it's not a commonly used word anymore.

I'm just alerting you that the translation may not always be what you intend. Not to worry. We'll work it out. Xarans who speak French turn up here from time to time, so they may help, as well.

Allison

Hello Amoore : no no I "translate" myself

About WebStyle : good tool.

But I think I will in future use it "only partly", not for all the entire pages.
    As these pages are "bloqued" if one's wants to make some changes in another web editor.

So : I will see to make my graphic templates in Xara (navigation bars with mouse on/off possibilities), then export to DreamW, and finish the pages in Dream... If possible in a simply way... I don't know yet...
    Stéphane
    creavisa

Bonjour stephane.

Why not do all of your website design in Xara Xtreme 5? What might be your reason for moving to Dreamweaver?

I'm not Stephane but I bring my Xtreme site into Microsoft Expressions Webfor several reasons.
    1. I have Microsoft extensions set, so I cannot use FTP to my provider.
    2. In Expressions web I can merge the piece created in Xtreme into the current web and just update the pages I have changed.
    3. I can look at the html if I want.
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11