Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Unable to edit moulded text

Is there any particular reason why we cannot change the font of text that is captured by the Mould Tool, using standard techniques?
    This Is Not Possible
    • Activate the text tool.
    • Click anywhere within a text string that is within a mould envelope to display the Text info bar.
    • Change the font.

Nor can I
    • With the selector tool active, double-click a text string that is captured by a mould envelope to activate text editing mode.
    Nor can I
    • Ctrl+click the text inside a mould envelope to select it for editing.
    I can't even edit the text string that is contained within a mould envelope. I would like to see improved consistency in the user interface.

What can be done to address this?

Default Re: Unable to edit moulded text

you know you can: copy mould shape > remove mould > change/edit font > paste mould shape back ?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by cursor View Post
    Is there any particular reason why we cannot change the font of text that is captured by the Mould Tool, using standard techniques?:
    Curtis you can change the font. Select the moulded text object, then select the text tool and find the font you want, the text inside the mould will automatically update to the text you select.
    You can also open the font gallery and double click the font you wish to use.
    When the moulded text object is selected, clicking the font tool does activate the text bar.
    So, Bold, Italic, Underline, Tracking, are usable for the text inside the mould envelope.

Thanks for that info, handrawn. I didn't know that.

It still seems to me awkward that I can't access the text in the same way that I can when it is part of a Group or a Soft-Group. Double-clicking a text object should consistently activate the text tool, position the text cursor within the text string, and reveal the text infobar. It doesn't do this with moulds/envelopes. I'm hoping that this interface inconsistency might be addressed by the very smart Xara folk.

The same holds true for not being able to Ctrl+click a mould's text element (inside) and have much the same happen ... as it does with Groups and Soft-Groups.

Thanks Steve for your input as well. Bob (the blues dude) filled me in just yesterday (thanks Bob) that I could change the font by double-clicking any chosen font with the font gallery (while the mould was selected) ... but this restrictive technique is not consistent with other, more intuitive techniques that are available with other binding methods (like Groups and Soft-Groups). Again, I'd like to be able to Ctl-select the text (inside), or simply double-click on the contained text item (for across the board consistency).

Quote Originally Posted by cursor View Post
    Is there any particular reason why we cannot change the font of text that is captured by the Mould Tool, using standard techniques?
    This Is Not Possible
    • Activate the text tool.
    • Click anywhere within a text string that is within a mould envelope to display the Text info bar.
    • Change the font.

Nor can I
    • With the selector tool active, double-click a text string that is captured by a mould envelope to activate text editing mode.
    Nor can I
    • Ctrl+click the text inside a mould envelope to select it for editing.
    I can't even edit the text string that is contained within a mould envelope. I would like to see improved consistency in the user interface.

What can be done to address this?
    This doesn't work!

copy mould shape > remove mould etc... does not work. You still have to re-do the mould which is a major pain

SOLUTION!!!!
    In XARA Designer Pro X11. Select mould > right click > Open Mould > make your changes > Save and your done!

Hey Sam,

You know this thread is almost 7 years old right?