Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Slow saving to flash drives!

Hi all,

Just upgraded from XX4 to XX5. I have XWD too. Long-time user, since XX1.

I work from a USB flash drive quite a lot, over two computers. I noticed with XWD that saving to the flash drive often takes AGES - ten minutes or more - when saving the same file to hard disc takes only seconds. This I have found quite annoying.

This morning I upgraded to XX5, loaded a 1.27MB .xar file from the flash drive, edited it, and saved it. It took over 3 minutes to save! Re-opened it in XX4, edited it, saved it to the flash drive - about 3 seconds to save.

What on earth have you done to XWD and XX5? Why does is take so much longer to save to a flash drive? Can I change something in the settings? I'm afraid this might be a deal-breaker for me otherwise. Not being able to practically save to a USB drive is ridiculous.

Yours in bewilderment,

Dave

Default Re: Slow saving to flash drives!

Quote Originally Posted by speedsixdave View Post
    What on earth have you done to XWD and XX5?

Hi Dave,

Welcome to Talkgraphics.

We are all users of Xara programs and not employees of Xara Group Ltd.

We haven't done anything.

Perhaps you may want to open a ticket with Xara Support http://support.xara.com
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

mean time save to hard drive and then copy from hard drive to flash drive ?

[to be honest I would never save directly to flash - too risky]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    We are all users of Xara programs and not employees of Xara Group Ltd.

We haven't done anything.
    Sorry, you're quite right of course. I'm just surprised and infuriated by this retrograde step.

handrawn - that's what I've had to do to use XWD effectively. But I'm still not pleased about it.

I have had this same problem. I to often use my flash drive to save files. Recently I lost a file that had a lot of work put into it. I dont know if the problem was from X5 , I was using a trial version of that. But since that time I have been using Xareg to make back up copies and I only save to the hard drive and then copy to the flash drive.
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

Is it just .xar files that are taking too long? I recently bought a 250MB Verbatum flash drive and it took over an hour to move less than a gig of information to it. The same information to my MyBook takes 1/10th of the time.
    Things you should never say when pulled over by the police:
    Could you hold my beer while I dig out my license?

Quote Originally Posted by Burpee View Post
    Is it just .xar files that are taking too long?
    .xar and .web, and only from XX5/XWD, not XX4 or earlier. Never had a problem before. Something in the program code has changed!

Hi,
    I have two flash drives a Lacie 500GB, and a new one I just purchase, SimpleDrive, both these drives are as fast as my Hard drive. One thing I know not all Flash drives are equal, some are at the slower 5400Rpm spin rate and others are at the 7200rpm spin rates maybe you should see what rate yours spin at.
    Jim

Those aren't what I would term Flash drives Jim, I would expect that Dave means a small usb stick type drive.

@Nancy, I'm not surprised that you got less than a gig on a 250MB flash drive. Probably substantially less than a gig ........
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

USB storage devices are pretty slow when compared to hard disk drives. From Wikipedia:
    Modern flash drives have USB 2.0 connectivity. However, they do not currently use the full 480 Mbit/s (60MB/s) the USB 2.0 Hi-Speed specification supports due to technical limitations inherent in NAND flash. The fastest drives currently available use a dual channel controller, although they still fall considerably short of the transfer rate possible from a current generation hard disk, or the maximum high speed USB throughput.

Typical overall file transfer speeds vary considerably, and should be checked before purchase. Speeds may be given in Mbyte per second, Mbit per second, or optical drive multipliers such as "180X" (180 times 150 KiB per second). Typical fast drives claim to read at up to 30 megabytes/s (MB/s) and write at about half that. Older "USB full speed" 12 Mbit/s devices are limited to a maximum of about 1 MB/s
    Writing a 1.27MB .xar file to a flash device should take (at most) a couple of seconds.

Is the slow write-rate consistent, Dave (speedsixdave)?

I just loaded a 1.406MB .xar file into my XX5, then saved it to my USB flash drive. The saving action took 13 seconds.