Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Grrrrrr... Nav Bar problems

OK tell me what I am doing wrong. I added drop-down menus and changed the color with a tranparency. The I grouped the graphics and text together and then soft grouped the two layers (mouseoff and mouseover) together. Then I named them to a Repeating:xxxx name so that it will update on all pages. Needless to say, it is not updating on all pages. But when I preview, it shows fine on the index page.

1) Does there have to be a nav bar in the location that I want before it will update?

2) What am I doing wrong?

Please answer with step by step please. I am in the process of learning the lingo.

Thank you so much!

Angela

Default Re: Grrrrrr... Nav Bar problems

Angela,

It would be easiest to solve if you would attach your .web file.

Are you using design gallery buttons or ??

I will help when I get some more info...

p.s.
    After creating your navbar did you place a copy of it on each page that you wanted it on or was there already a navbar on the other pages?
    RaZzLE

there was. But I think I accidentally deleted them. This page is VERY rough. I know I need to link the buttons to the page and the flash is something that I really just threw together. So don't critique too hard

Thank you so much!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Angela,

I looked at your web file and it looks like you have to different navbars, you have the navbar on the front page and then a different one on the last page. They look like the same navbars, but if you look at there names the first one is :Repeating:CommunHNavBar1 and the last one is :Repeating:AutoRepeat0

I would say this is your problem. Just delete the last one, then copy the first navbar to all the pages that you want a navbar on and then your repeating links will work.

Hope this helps you out...

Here is the file changed correctly..
    Attached Files Attached Files
    RaZzLE

You have a large, white, background rectangle on each page that is covering your repeated navigation. On any/every page, click on that background object, then peek at the status bar in the lower-left corner:
    1 rectangle on layer MouseOff (2)
    Now notice where MouseOff (2) is in relation to your navigation system. The rectangle is on top ... it's entirely covering your navigation elements ...
    1. Delete the stray navbar elements from your last page.
    2. On each page, a) select the [covering] background rectangle, b) activate the MouseOff layer (that would be at the bottom of the list), then c) click the Move button at the top of the Layer Gallery.

Great!! Thank you so much!!! I am stumbling through the layers

I really appreciate you help. I had't thought of those things

Is there a way to copy to the same place on all of the pages without re-doing the all of them? I know that ctrl-k copies to the same place on one sheet, but how about to the next sheet?

Nevermind.... I just figured it out

I know that you already figured out one way, but I thought I'd toss a few proceedures out that might help.
    • When have repeating: objects, and you issue an Arrange > Update repeating objects, all instances are position in the same position on their target pages. This holds true or header/masthead elements (with respect to the tops of the pages) as well as footer objects with respect to the bottoms of the pages). This is discussed in Help > Repeating Objects.
    • You can copy (Ctrl+C) any object, group, or collection of components, and then paste a single instance of them, in the same place, on any page with Edit > Paste in Place (Shift+Ctrl+V).
    • You can also create your initial sheet in a .web file so that it includes all of elements that you'd like to include on every page of your design. Once the page is created, you can then make a second (and a third, etc.) by simply doing an Edit > Pages > Duplicate current page.

great to know. Thank you. I am beginning to figure out that this program is close in structure to a CAD program. I am starting to get (a small) understanding of this.

Thank so much for your help