Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Repel text Under ... across multiple popup layers

The attached .web file is a simple file with two popup layers that that are the same size and share the same position. I got a bit of a shock when I dragged the circle-cat photo from the Design Gallery onto the document. Check out what happens to the text on each of the popup layers.

How do I make the photo's Repel text under affect only the text on a single popup?

Mercí.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by cursor; 31 May 2009 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Modified the attached .web file slightly, for effect.

Default Re: Repel text Under ... across multiple popup layers

Setting the photo import aside, consider simply drawing a circle in the center of the popup layer one, then apply the Repel text under attribute. As a result any text that resides on layers underneath (like the text on the MouseOff layer) will have a circular hole inserted.

Instead, if that circle is drawn at the center of popup layer two (then then apply the Repel text under attribute), any paragraph or area/block text that resides on layers one or MouseOff will have a circular hole inserted.

Hmmm ... what's the fix?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	temp2.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	61653  

Curtis I recall this being brought up some weeks ago. It's a conundrum for sure.
    Not sure there is a fix for this at the moment.

Hopefully covoxer will pop in and offer a simple solution, like he so often does.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	temp2b.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	61655  

Unfortunally there is no simple solution.
    I would suggest using repelling text only on static layers.
    Sorry about that.

ps Or you may try to use iframes.
    John.

This is what worked for me: drag & drop the cat circle onto your page, turn off 'Repel text under', then, turn it on again. The picture does no longer repel the text on the pop-up layers and you can still move it around w/o the repel feature disturbing the pop-up texts.

Edit: Oops, I read you second post and noticed that you were talking about placing the photo object on one of the popup layers. Indeed, that's still a problem.
    Last edited by Boy; 31 May 2009 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer
    ps Or you may try to use iframes.
    I don't yet have any experience with iframes (and there is nothing in the Help file about them). How might I use iframes to address this issue? Thanks.

I think John is suggesting you use an iframe on popup layers because the source is actually not on a layer but in an external file which is displayed in the iframe.
    This means that the source file can have repelling objects which will not affect other popups with iframes.

Personally I would not expect iframe or other HTML code help to be included in the Help file due to WD being a graphical Web Site builder rather than a HTML editor.

But ... if the content of my popup layer is in an iframe, then I can't create a nice composition of both text and nested graphics -- it will just be plain text. That can certainly be done without iframes. Use Repel graphics under only on the MouseOff layer. Any text (using the standard text creation methods) on the popup layers would not be affected.

Damn ... what a shame. I was counting heavily on this ability to create overlapping pages (popup layers) of very visual combinations of text and graphics, for maximum clarity and impact.

Clipping is done all the time in graphical applications. Xtreme! and Web designer do it with bitmaps very effectively. It's done in 3D graphics software by providing clipping planes that limit the display range/depth of design elements. Would it not be logical (and easily programmable) to allow the option to Repel text under (current layer only) as well as the current Repel text under (all layers below)? Or, perhaps some alternative implementation ...

Or (better still) allow for a range of layers to be specified as affected layers.
    Last edited by cursor; 31 May 2009 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cursor View Post
    But ... if the content of my popup layer is in an iframe, then I can't create a nice composition of both text and nested graphics -- it will just be plain text.
    Not at all. An iframe can show any regular page created in Web Designer.

Think of an iframe as a window to another html file.