Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Using XWD as a prototyper only

The idea of a home/main page is a good concept as you don't have to
    alter the complete site but only the smaller section.
    Only thing is to use absolute urls instead of relative urls.

You can import the xwd pages into wb6
    But all linkage/rollovers and such are lost but the graphics are still there.
    The tweaks in xwd are nice but the amount of extensions in wb6 are great

By "wb6", do you mean this application software, Hans?

edit: Ahah ... I now see where himagain referred to WYSIWYG WB, above.
    Last edited by cursor; 01 June 2009 at 06:18 PM.

I've used WYSIWYG WB since version 4 and its large range of extensions make it a very good buy but I'm quite happily playing around with XWB and have nearly finished my first site using it. What I do like is the relative ease that one can extend it using placeholders. Given that it is only couple of months old, we are perhaps expecting too much. The FTP and menu (ease of) issues will doubtless be addressed by the time the next release comes out and hopefully, XWB will be fully integrated into the next release of XXPro (a lot of it is already there, so why not). I can't really see the point of using XWD as a prototyper and then having to re-invent the wheel again in another program. With a bit of inventiveness, there's a workaround for most things.
    "Second class fairway is better than first class rough!"

Thumbs up Re: Using XWD as a prototyper only

Quote Originally Posted by neodeist View Post
    You're welcome ... I've a lot of time on my hands Glad your stroke was only mild, must be a challenge to focus. I have a few health problems that can play havoc with my concentration levels one way and another - Xara's Xtreme Pro 4 and WD helps to keep me sane[ish].

The program you linked to (thanks) might be good, though whether it can match XWD for speed and quality is another matter - yes, I'm biased I know! The built-in forms and log-in/password protection are a plus, but the program is in version 6, I suspect in the future XWD might well include something similar.
    Actually, it looks more and more like a "pigeon pair" to me. The design (prototyping) ability of XWD is amazing. Its origins in imaging sure show through!
    But the full suite of "extras" in WYSIWYG extensions is amazing - especially for a non-geek! http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/extensions.html :-)
    And its FTP abilities and Site management are great.

It is weak on handling imported pre-formatted text, surprisingly, BUT which XWD is great at! :-)

So far the big word for me is COMPLEMENTARY.

Eventually, XWD should fix the shortcomings - if easily done, it is early days for the product, but for a small investment now - you can have a full solution.
    My only problem is having to learn to use both. :-(
    "Time fidgets" as they say..... :-)

Cheers!
    Himagain

Bug Re: Using XWD as a prototyper only

Quote Originally Posted by w00dy View Post
    Given that it is only couple of months old, we are perhaps expecting too much. The FTP and menu (ease of) issues will doubtless be addressed by the time the next release comes out
    snip---
    I can't really see the point of using XWD as a prototyper and then having to re-invent the wheel again in another program. With a bit of inventiveness, there's a workaround for most things.
    Hi Woody,
    It is the silence from above re this rather glaring problem that worried me.

RE-inventing - yes, not good, but I can't see much alternative so far.
    The breakup of the files suggested is a "workaround", but like most others, is still a workaround.

I am tiptoe-ing between the two now and looking for any "gotchas" and might zero in on you for some hints...... :-)

Cheers!
    Himagain

I've also been using "WYSIWYG Web Builder" based on Woody's reccommendation for a week now and I have to say that it gives XWD a damned good run for it's money (also running XWD) - in fact in many areas it outstrips it. For instance it has built in fully customisable forms which with I made an excellent standalone php feedback form page in a matter of minutes.

And it's got so many extensions.... I hope XWD catches on..... As Web Builder is pretty much written by ONE guy!

Steve