Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Modifying text for strikethrough

Quote Originally Posted by cursor View Post
    The same primitive method could be used for underlining text, but Xara smartly offers in line underlining.

Why NOT in line strike-through?
    Not enough time and development resources. If we would add everything it is possibble to add before the release, you would wait another 10 yers for it to happen.
    John.

My solution

Just select the words that you would like struck through and then "name" the selection (I used strike) and give the Id a style in a <head > placeholder.

Drwyd

P.S. It will only work once per page.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Nice work-around, Drwyd.

One problem that I see with that is that the text with the strike-through feature is difficult to identify in a page edit mode. Yes, in Preview mode one can visually identify which words are crossed out, but when jumping back into an edit mode, it's less than obvious (as should/could be the case with WYSIWYG). This is particularly true if there are a number of stike-throughs in a running body of text.

Another point that struck me was the height of the strike-through position. Is that a function of HTML text representation? When looking at the same string in Microsoft Word, for comparison, the position is different. See below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_temp.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	61443  

Since you mentioned using the <del></del> option (and I just tried this), why not use a placeholder object for it and just use the replace with html, and put your <del>Item price</del> in there. It definitely works - you;d just need to define the look you want. You could even create two placeholder boxes beside each other, one with the <del> placeholder and one with the normal price.

Quote Originally Posted by slavelle View Post
    Since you mentioned using the <del></del> option (and I just tried this), why not use a placeholder object for it and just use the replace with html, and put your <del>Item price</del> in there. It definitely works - you;d just need to define the look you want. You could even create two placeholder boxes beside each other, one with the <del> placeholder and one with the normal price.
    This seems the best so far, thanks slavelle - but how do I change the font size ?? If I select the box and change the font size Web Des objects and wants to change the whole page ? As I said on my first post, I haven't used Web Des for long now, so still on a sharp learning curve.

John

Try this in your placeholder:

<font size=2 face=arial><del>$4.99</del>&nbsp;$3.99</font>

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Try this in your placeholder:

<font size=2 face=arial><del>$4.99</del>&nbsp;$3.99</font>
    Thanks sledger, having always written websites in html should have been obvious !! Need to engage brain.

Another option would be to create a placeholder, give it the name <head> (has to be exactly this) and then put css styling in that placeholder, like

<style>
    p{
    font-size:10px;
    color:red;
    }
    </style>

Then you can use these styles within the html placeholders. This would then bsehave like any other standard coding practice. This would also make it easier to modify all of your stuff with only a single change (using classes or whatever css/html method you want).

Obviously you could even use this method to build html tables to shaw tablature data that can be easily styled and still have the flexibility to be changed easily to match the design of the site as put forward by XWD itself.

Hope this adds something.

I assume by now you have upgraded to a newer version, but just in case... on X10 and probably earlier versions the strikethrough feature you needed is clearly shown on the tool bar when editing text as a formatting button next to bold, underline, italics...

Quote Originally Posted by millsey View Post
    Hi, sorry if this has already been asked, but I haven't found anything using search.
    I have a website developing that needs to show prices that are "lined through" to indicate they are the old prices, RRP etc. I think strikethrough is the correct term ? html code is simply <del>word</del>
    At present I am manually adding the code after Web Designer makes the HTML code, but everytime I make further saves it overwrites the page and I'm back to square one.

Any ideas please ?? Or maybe it could be added to the text prefs line in a future update ??

Thanks

John

This post is over 5 years old? We introduced Strike-through ages ago...