Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Sorting

Default Sorting

Is it possible to create this sort of page in XWD? (Go to the following site and select Adventures from the menu at the top) http://www.adrift.org.uk/cgi/new/adrift.cgi. It allows you to sort a list according to different criteria. If so how? Thanks.

Default Re: Sorting

It has not much to do with WD. It is done with server scripts.
    But yes, you can use similar server script with WD designed page.
    John.

It has not much to do with WD. It is done with server scripts.
    Yes sorry, I didn't mean can just WD do it but could it be intergrated. What would I need to look up in order to create this?

I too would like to be able to permit users to sort a list/table (of articles, by date, or by author, for example). I just assumed that this wouldn't be possible using Web Designer.

Xhris, any chance your magical fingers could do a tutorial vid somewhere along the line?

You need to have a server script that generates sorted page content (the table or the list of items in this case). When you have one, you'll put it into a placeholder and export the page as a script page (.php for example) not a htm.

Depending on the scrtipt there may be some nuances that may need clarification. In that case I'll be able to help.
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by cursor View Post
    I too would like to be able to permit users to sort a list/table (of articles, by date, or by author, for example). I just assumed that this wouldn't be possible using Web Designer.
    Me three. I have been reading up on PHP & SSI to this end & have already prepared the sql database. Any info on this would be great but I realise it is out of scope of this Web Design forum.

I haven't looked into using John's dynamic content tweak (yet ).

When I have needed to provide a way for users to query a database there were usually multiple solutions required.

1. Provide a form where the user can select the fields needed, a date range, and sort criteria (primary, secondary, tertiary, etc.).

2. A preset query page designed for a specific department to be used on a recurring basis. For example a query to display specific fields and sort all orders entered during the current day, sorted by time entered.

3. And for the very advanced users a text entry field for them to enter their own query string.

All the work is done on the server when the submit button is clicked. The data is sent back as parameters to the server side script which executes the query and then generates a return page with the results.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update