Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Problems dragging photos to replace bitmaps

When dragging new photos into the photo galleries and also sometimes into duplicate or cloned text panel the new picture often changes another picture in the gallery or another panel.

It is possible to break the link but it varies in method and success causing much frustration.

In other cases changing the one of the pictures in the gallery I have found several other of the pop-up pictures have changed despite the thumbnail staying the same. This wastes a lot of time becausee you can't see the error until you have exported the website and previewed it.

Default Re: Problems dragging photos to replace bitmaps

Yes ok all agreed as said and read in several places thanks.

I wish I could remember what I did in one case but after replacing pictures in a gallery to click on - when clicked some pictures displayed a different Popup picture from the thumbnail.

I am not a beginner to web design nor web design programs by any means (several years with various other programs like Dreamweaver and including using XWS and XMM) but I am a new user of XWD and soon may be an ex-user I fear unless I can soon get to grips with these 'features'.

I rarely ask for help actually - because the usual response is often dismissive and patronising when the person giving the answer has no idea what level of expertise the asker has.

The program really ought to be easy to get to grips with just by using it!

If you are having another photo change when you import photos into a gallery (say from a photo gallery template) the chances are that you have copied a thumbnail on the gallery... this gives you two of the same rather than a new one.
    I find when it comes to photos, XWD is a brilliant programme and easy to use once you recognise how it works. Even making special galleries is not that hard, although a bit of a fiddle but give outstanding results.
    There are several other threads at the moment which explain about photo importing, they may be helpful.
    Perseverance is required.
    Rupert

NoGoodReason, please tone down your aggressive attitude. Members will assist you far more if you're receptive to their advice. No one's questioned your expertise.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Everyone is new to Web Designer. It is a new program that has differences to any other Xara application.

A question may be clear to the person asking it but to anyone else it may not be clear what the question means or what the person is looking for.

Learning or in some cases unlearning how to do something with a new program can be stressful, but the only expert in Web Designer is Covoxer. The rest of us are learning the same as you are. We may need to ask additional questions to but your question into our frame of reference.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

NoGoodReason is perfectly correct in what he says, dragging a photo from explorer onto an existing photo in XWD sometimes changes the photos for several previously different photos on the page. This is a bug in the program, not something he and I are doing wrong.

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

No Wistian it is not a bug. See the explanation in the link above that Cursor provided. If you drag and drop a photo on a existing one and both it and others change it is because they were clones. Having them all change is a useful feature! Imagine you use a logo image, or perhaps a bullet graphic, many times in your site. If you want to update the image used with another it is a single drag and drop that can automatically changes all instances.

If you don't want all instances to change just hold down the control key when you do the drop.

Regards, Ross

And, if you happen to use the wrong procedure when dragging and dropping a graphic, it's a piece of cake to Edit > Undo (Ctrl+Z), then use the alternate method.
    Last edited by cursor; 30 April 2009 at 12:08 AM. Reason: rephrased for clariity

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Undo is a wonderful function. I use it more than almost any other.