Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Help for a Newbie: Pop Up layers

Hi to you all

Great program and first class help from the members of this board. Many thanks.

Now for the plea. Problem with popup. The page in the project was mainly a graphic with buttons. Wanted a popup like one on the previous page but this time it doesn't work. The popup layer is visible all the time not just with the MouseOver. I've spent ages on this problem but can't find what I am doing wrong or what is different on the previous page (which works fine).

The attached file has had everything stripped away with just the layer named "will" left but the layer still shows when the page is previewed even though it is unticked in the layer menu. Please put me out of my misery.

One more if I may. Why can't I link to a pdf file with the site on my hard disk?
    The link works fine if it is on the published site. Any ideas?

Thanks for reading and I'm sure I'll be back!

Cedric
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Help for a Newbie

CJMUK,

Please see attached file. I'm not sure this is a legitemat fix or not, but it works. I think you have to have some type of content on the page before anything would be hidden as the images would have nothing to hide under on just a blank page. I have no idea if i'm rite and if I need to be corrected, please do so, but this fix will work if you want it..

Also, check your other page that it is working on and see if there is something on there that your just over looking that would be hiding the popup, but isn't on this page because it's not there. (Just a thought..)

Hope this helps you...
    RaZzLE

Quote Originally Posted by CJMUK View Post
    The popup layer is visible all the time not just with the MouseOver.
    That's because you don't have any popup layers in this document.
    The layer is considered a popup layer in case if there is at least one object on the page that refers to this layer as a popup ("Web Properties dialog / Links / Popup layer" or "Web Properties dialog / Mouse-over / Show popup layer").
    John.

Evaluating your .web file, I see the following layers:
    • Guides < one line
    • will < one group
    • MouseOver < no items
    • MouseOff < no items
    As covoxer points out, since there are no items that refer to your 'will' layer as a popup layer, it will simply behave as a static layer (visible all of the time).

In the attachment below, I have created an object on the MouseOff layer. By right-mouse-clicking object, selecting 'Web Properties', then clicking on the Mouse-over tab, then selecting 'will' from the the 'Show popup layer' drop-down, I let Web Designer know that I want to treat the layer called 'will' as a popup layer.

Oh yeah ... don't forget to click the 'Apply' button.

Thank you all for your help.

I should have realised there was nothing to pop up from but what I had done was remove each item from the page to try and find what was causing the problem and of course once I removed the coloured panel and hover box it was nonsense what I asked you to look at. My apologies

Unfurtnately the problem is still there in main project but if I Ctrl A and paste to a new single page project it all works as it should so its all a bit of a mystery.

Not to worry though, it was a last minute thought to put a popup on that page and I will manage without but I may try deleting the dodgy page and pasting back the one that is working just to see what happens.

Mant thanks again and I'm sorry for wasting your time.

Cedric

No problem. If you have further issues, don't hesitate posting.

Default Re: Help for a Newbie: Pop Up layers

Many thanks for that reply Cursor.

I've managed to isolate the problem. The site was 15 pages long but I've stripped it down to 2 pages. The attachment shows that the problem is associated with the link "will" to the page with the popup layer.

If "will" is highlighted and deleted, retyped and the link to the page restablished all works fine.

I haven't a clue why this is so but I thought the developer may be interested in case anything like this pops up again.

Cheers

Cedric

You have object with the same name as your popup layer ("will"). It's the text on the first page that links to page2. Remove this object and all will work fine.
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    You have object with the same name as your popup layer ("will"). It's the text on the first page that links to page2. Remove this object and all will work fine.
    Hi John

I've deleted the name "will" for the word will but the popup still fails.

But the word will was in a text area and if this text area is deleted and the word will is not named "will" it works fine.

It is noted that if the word will is deleted but the text area left undeleted and a separated object is created to link to Page 2 the popup is broken. Delete the empty text area on page 1 and every thing works fine.

Many thanks for your help

Strange?

Cedric