Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Editable Table Object for Tabular Text Data

With new feature of the text anchored objects, it is much easier to create tables that can be dynamically edited in the Xtreme 5.
    I can't create video tutorial, but if somebody is interested in doing it I can explain the idea.
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    ... if somebody is interested in doing it I can explain the idea.
    I'm interested. How about a .xar attached example? :-)

Here comes the attachment.
    But it may be not obvious how to use it or how to create it. I just think that video tutorial would be the best way to explain how it works.

So, some general rules how to work with attached example:
    1. Table is a single text object with separators and other objects anchored.
    2. To resize the table, select it and resize using Text tool.
    3. To change width of the column, make sure you have rulers visible (Ctrl+L), select all text in the table with Text tool (Ctrl+A), and drag tab stops on the ruler appropriately.
    4. To change row height, select row with Text tool and adjust line spacing.
    5. To insert, remove, replace lines simply do it with text tool - they are just a lines of text.
    6. Cells in the line are separated by the tab.
    etc., etc.

It is easier to grasp the idea than to follow endless instructions...
    And the idea is:
    As I say, the table is a text area with cells separated by the Tab. Nothing special here.
    The graphic elements are anchored objects, and they also are stretched by the table.
    Analyze names gallery for stretching. Ask questions for more information. I'll be glad to help.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    John.

I can see lots of uses for this new achoring attribute. Cool.
    (This is new for Xtreme 5, and it hasn't been implemented for the current version of Web Designer.)

I still vote for a table construction feature similar to the original poster's description (in some future release).

I am brand new to Web Designer 6. It is an amazing program.

But I, too, ran into a brick wall where tables are concerned. I need tables in some of my web pages. And to have to use another program to create them is a pain since they cannot be edited once they are imported.

From my perspective, this is a significant shortcoming and I would hope it would be addressed in future versions.

I like the interface and power of this program, but I may have to table it for new web site development and go back to my old authoring tools.

Just another perspective...

- Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    Steven the program is a graphics design application that happens to export html. It is not a document editor in a traditional sense.
    However, we are getting much more desktop publishing features. There is no valid reason why a table cannot be included. As Steven says, it doesn't have to be a html table, just function as a table in the graphic. It's invaluable for brochures etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    But it may be not obvious how to use it or how to create it.....
    You're right John, it's not obvious, but works perfectly. I think I'm going to have to study this more ....
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Kington, Herefordshire. I used to live on a boat on the English waterways

I agree with the fACT THAT WE NEED EDITABLE TABLES FOR wEB dESIGNER AND FOR deSIGNER.

Sorry accidentally hit the caps lock!

N