Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do I need menu maker?

I am a complete newbie in regards to using web design software, so I want the process to be a simple as possible.

Would menu maker be a good addition to Web Designer, or does Web Designer already do what menu maker does? Thanks for any information.
    Last edited by frombc; 03 April 2009 at 10:05 PM. Reason: grammatical error

Default Re: Do I need menu maker?

Welcome, I am kind of new to this also. Looks like Menu Maker would make your life lots simpler. I have tried the trial and it is easy to create the menu in menu maker but it is an other story to deal with the layers in XWD. Once menu maker exports the html files all you need to do is place the js line of text in the place holder in XWD and all works well. I am thinking about getting it for myself also.
    'I Walk SLOWWWWLY BUT NEVER WALK BACKWARDS'

Once you get your head around making menus manually in WD, it's not too bad. I made a video to help people get started learning how to do it. There are lots of other videos on my YT channel which may help with various Xara related tasks. I also accept suggestions for videos people may want.

Quote Originally Posted by AndreStyle View Post
    it is an other story to deal with the layers in XWD. Once menu maker exports the html files all you need to do is place the js line of text in the place holder in XWD and all works well.

Thanks for the welcome.

...ok, now you have me thinking I'm in over my head trying to design my own website

Quote Originally Posted by Xhris View Post
    Once you get your head around making menus manually in WD, it's not too bad. I made a video to help people get started learning how to do it. There are lots of other videos on my YT channel which may help with various Xara related tasks. I also accept suggestions for videos people may want.
    Thanks, I'll check out the video. I love the idea of designing my own website, but find the whole process a little intimidating.

Do you know if it integrates with WD? In the write up it says it does with front page and dreamweaver, but doesn't mention WD.
    Last edited by frombc; 03 April 2009 at 11:42 PM. Reason: ETA

Hi FromBC,

The writeup for MenuMaker was created years before Web Designer existed.

MenuMaker was released in 2004. Web Designer was released about 4 weeks ago.

Putting a navbar or menu created with MenuMaker (or Webstyle 4) can easily be used in your Web Designer pages. Use the step by step instructions in the Xara Support article in the following link.
    http://support.xara.com/index.php?_m...articleid=2741
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thank you Bill. I really appreciate the help.

Does menu maker make it that much easier to do menus. Is it worth spending the extra $$ for ease of use. Thanks.

That, quite simply, depends on how creative you are. I never purchased MenuMaker, but did buy Webstyle. I didn't like the menus, quite frankly. They just didn't fit my style. Personally, I like the control that Web Designer offers (with its mouse-layering system). Sensible, respectable buttons can be constructed with a reasonable amount of learning. It doesn't have to be complex (although it may seem so at first). Visually complex doesn't necessarily mean good. Functional, and visually respectable is what fills the bill ... in my book.

Web Designer provides some great examples of responsible buttons (in its Design gallery). Suck the individual button types into a blank webpage and then disassemble it. Pay attention to how it's built ... and learn.

Following (or naively depending upon) someone else's fixed designs leaves you dependent on their abilities. Understanding what they have done, then extending beyond is liberating. Give it a shot.
    Last edited by cursor; 04 April 2009 at 03:05 AM.

Thanks, Xhris. Your video makes things easier to learn and as Cursor said it will pay off in the long run to know the ins and outs of developping your own buttons. Xara probably would prefer I buy the MenuMaker too, I might just do that cause I like to support them to keep them going, they put out such great programs.
    'I Walk SLOWWWWLY BUT NEVER WALK BACKWARDS'

Can I ask a question Xhris? Please can you tell me how did you orginized the text and buttons relatons at your tutorial web site? when you click a button, is the whole page changning or just the text area?

It would really help me.....thanks