Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Problems changing colors

I just purchased the download version of WD and have trying to build a site, but am having trouble changing colors of the text and the colors of already made buttons. With the text I choose the text tool and drag across the text and then pick a color on the colors bar at the bottom and even drag a color to the text, but nothing happens. Is there a lock key on the already made objects in the templates cause I began with a template and changed just about the whole thing? I have only watched the intro movie before buying the program and have not had time to view others. Also, can you reach a "point of no return" on changing the templates to where they no longer work as intended? If I want to add pages do I have to drag and drop from the original template file? Sorry about all the questions, I will stop here until I try what is suggested from this post. Thanks for being such an active part of great software.

Chuck

PS. If I don't create the graphics in WD or XARA, do I have to import them as a .gif image, I am currently taking a CorelDRAW online course?

Default Re: Problems changing colors

Hi,

About the buttons...
    If you are trying to change a nav bar from an template. Start by ungrouping the hole navbar. You might notice that this will change the normal look of the button. Now you can change the colors of text and backgrounds. If you´re done, you´ll have to group every text with corresponding background. Also do this on the mouse-over layer! Once you´ve done that, buttons should change back to original state but with you´re colors...
    The Easy Way is just clicking on the colors of the buttons of your site (the first colors shown at the bottom of your screen in the color line) then click edit, a color wheel should popup. Now changing the colors in the color wheel will automatically alter all you colors...

About the "point of no return"
    Actually, as long as you know exactly wat you´re doing, you can´t do any harm. If you changed something and it fails, just change it back.

About the pages.
    If you changed a template on a page, just goto Edit > Pages > Duplicate current page.
    This way you´re changed template will be copied to the next page.

Hope its helpfull
    Last edited by DigiGarage; 03 April 2009 at 03:06 PM. Reason: forgot something

Buttons from the Design gallery are "soft-grouped". This keeps the MouseOff and MouseOver layers cemented together so that they can be moved as a single group. One additional feature of soft groups is that the text for both layers are smartly linked together. That is, if you change the text on one, then it automatically changes the text on the other. Text color, font, and size are a different issue, however — they continue to function as separate elements.

If you want to change the font color on the mouseOff layer, then temporarily disable mouseOver visibility and pickability in the Layer gallery. Highlight your text, pick your color, assign "set fill color". The text color for the button label on the mouseOff layer will change.

Do the same thing for the mouseOver layer. First temporarily disable mouseOff visibility and pickability in the Layer gallery. Then, adjust your text color.

Once you have your navigation set up the way that you want, you can add a new page by simply menuing Edit > Pages > Duplicate current page. Your navigation (and all other elements) will be duplicated on a secong page. If you'll Ctrl+mouse-wheel), you can zoom in and out on your full list of pages.

Like anything else, you can "reach the point of no return."

Like anything else, the more effort you apply to any endeavor, the easier it becomes. Xara Web Designer is substantially simpler than many alternative web authoring tools.

edit: Note that short of ungrouping, you can 1) turn off layers of elements that you don't want to effect (as noted), then simply Ctrl+click to select an internal component. Watch the status line at the bottom of the screen as you move about and pick.

Thanks for both posts, I will try them when I have the time and get back to you.

Chuck