Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Video: Optimising websites for graphics

I frequently see sites made in WD that could really use some optimisation. Optimisation is achieved in two ways:-

1. Clever grouping to minimise the number of total images exported;
    2. The almost exclusive use of JPEGs instead of PNGs, except for two cases: a) simple vector graphics containing little information, and b) when any visible background within the object bounds changes.

In particular, I've been just astonished by the frequent misuse of PNGs in websites made by Web Designer (presumably for not knowing any better) in the popular ‘show us your website’ thread, resulting in shockingly gratuitous load times and therefore inefficient websites. I realised that it was probably necessary to help people become aware of how to optimise websites, and so I produced an HD video teaching the two techniques mentioned above. Hopefully at least some websites will become more efficient as a result.
    IP

Default Re: Video: Optimising websites for graphics

You keep going at it,aren't you??
    Why do you keep on insisting to give your opinion as the Truth
    Png is a good webformat and not miss-used in anyway
    loading time is only an issue where the bandwidth isn't uptodate.
    It's only where you are located,isn't it?
    Here in the Netherlands over 80% use cable/dsl connection the rest isn't likely my preferred audience so i don't care.
    For images(bitmaps) simply use jpeg otherwise do as you please

Hans
    IP

Xhris I'm sorry, but that is a condescending scathing post which I'd really prefer you hadn't posted.
    Please contact me via a PM with a more friendly version so that I can update your post.

Thanks
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by haakoo View Post
    Here in the Netherlands over 80% use cable/dsl connection the rest isn't likely my preferred audience so i don't care.
    The same here in Germany.

PNG rocks!

Remi
    IP

Hi, Sorry, I did it again and forgot to make it public once it had finished processing correctly.

I'm not sure how people have interpreted it as offensive, that's completely unexpected. It was meant to be entirely helpful and I was in a completely good mood when I wrote it. I think people are seeing things that aren't there again through selective interpretation, so perhaps another read with this in mind would self-fix things. Maybe I didn't say how much I liked the sites I've seen enough?

Anyway, hope it helps. Further tips about optimisation are in the WD help file.
    IP

Misinterpretation is certainly easy, eh? Thanks for the graphic advice and the instructive video, Xhris.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Xhris View Post
    I'm not sure how people have interpreted it as offensive, that's completely unexpected.
    I think its the style Xhris

I'd call it an 'academic' approach, though you may not of course

It may put off some people who see it as a bit egotistical - without realising that you are giving rationale, not being negative.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Yes I am in academia, and I am trained to write authoritatively. I suppose it reads differently to how I speak (see video), and some people read things I write (by choice really) completely oppositely to how they are intended. In person I am the exact opposite to authoritative. The problem isn't people interpreting it wrongly, but when moderators enforce their misinterpretation. Hopefully this won't go any further.

Anyway, let's get back to optimisation techniques and leave any further OT comments to PMs.
    IP

I enjoy it when moderators are saying their personal opinion.
    You said "authoritatively" - rotfl.

PNG has some advantages. JPG has some strong disadvantages. The other thread has showed some.

Remi
    IP

The problems of JPEG in some cases are discussed in the video. Essentially they lack transparency support which is why it's about time they were superseded by a more modern lossy compression format like the new JPEG XR format really. That's discussed here.
    IP