Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Popup Menu Question

I have read all the posts and watched the tutorial... I cannot get this to work and im about to pull my hair out. I get the concept of the layers and pop up layers. Heres the problem. When I draw a new shape on my new layer, it stays visible all the time no matter what I do. It is never invisible. Can someone please write a small little simple tutorial that will show from start to finish a way to make a popup menu. When I hover over a menu bar button, I want a popup menu to appear. Just show me that step and I can get the rest. Thank you...

P.S.
    The tutorials on this site have not worked for me and I have spent over 2 hours trying to get it to work. So please simplify the process and don't use any hot key because that loses us newbies and we have no idea what you just did if we cant see or hear it.
    IP

Default Re: Popup Menu Question

I'll try to explain.
    There are popup layers. They have any arbitrary names (unlike rollover layers which names start with MouseOver or MouseDown).
    To make any layer be recognized as a pop-up layer you need to have at least one object on your page that has on mouse over pop-up set to this layer. In case of the popup menu, this object is a button on the main menu bar.
    To set on mouse over pop-up select object (the button that will open the menu when you move mouse over it), open Web properties dialog, select Mouse-over tab, select your layer in the "Show popup layer" box. Click "Apply".
    Now, simply create your popup menu on this layer. Anything yuo put on it will popup when you moseover the button.
    John.
    IP

Have you read through the thread entitled "Multi-Level NavBars"? From this page, start with covoxer's post #12. Note my attached sample at post #19.
    IP

Ok this is what I have done. I copied my main menu over to a new page. I created a new layer called popup. I drew a rectangle on the page. I selected the button off the main menu that I want to popup the menu when rolled over. I right clicked it and selected web properties and clicked onmouse over popup layer popup menu. I preview my page and the rectangle is already visible. This is the problem I keep having. No matter what I do, all objects are visible no matter what. What am I doing wrong????
    IP

Attach your .web file for evaluation, please.

It sounds like it's a matter of layer ordering and naming.
    IP

Heres my non working test.. What is wrong with it?? The rectangle is visible always..
    Attached Files Attached Files
    IP

It's a simple case of placing the layer in the right place in the list. MouseOff should always be at the bottom and MouseOver should be second up. I just moved Layer 3 to the top and all was well.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    IP

nickydude,

Thank you for looking at that and explaining that to me. Not once in any of the tutorials does it say that. I have wasted 2 hours trying to get this to work.. Thank you so much..
    IP

You'd do well to carefully reread the thread that I referenced above (posts 12 through 19). Layer ordering is specifically addressed. Additionally, in your Xara Web Designer Help, read the section entitled, "Layer ordering in website documents."
    IP