Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: License Issues

Default Re: License Issues

I too would rather the copy protection was on the CD, and would gladly pay extra for the CD copy. If I damage the CD that's my problem, and I will have to buy another.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Thanks Kate for that clarification. It's comforting to know that humans are ultimately in charge of the activation and not just some faceless computer.

Like others on this forum, I too do a clean install every couple of years. I feel more at ease now I know where I stand.

Thanks Steve for chasing this up.

Rich

Thanks Kate
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by katemoir View Post
    There is no limit on the number of activations on a single machine, the limit applies to activations on different computers. The Xara license permits this so long as you are the only user, however the Magix activation does limit it to 3 different machines, at which point you have to contact support for further activations. As Steve mentions we have had a couple of requests, we have reset it for another 3 without charge and that's what we will continue to do so long as it sounds like usage is within the license terms - so for example that would be a no if the software is being used across an office, or the payment has been reversed by a chargeback.
    Thank you for your reply, katemoir. However, I've only installed on three machines, and when I tried to re-install on one of those (NOT a fourth machine), the activation server refused. (See my original post). I am the ONLY user.

FWIW, I have a piece of software from www.alk.com that installs the same way as XWD. BUT..... if I perform an UNINSTALL while connected to the 'net the server is notified and the activation server stays "in sync" with my local PC. This is a very workable solution to protecting the software vendor while making it convenient for the user.

Thanks for your response.
    Boo

P.S. FWIW (number 2) I regularly (every few months) rebuild my PC. I've found that in spite of firewalls, virus checkers, trojan removers, malware detecters, etc, etc, ANY windows machine will eventually become at least a little bit (maybe a lot??) unstable over time and a clean start every few months is a very good practice.

Around about every 6 months to a year I back up my important stuff then do a complete reinstall of Windows, including a full format. This helps keep the machine running smoothly and also checks the disk for errors. Many times I've had to contact a software house to reactivate a piece of software.

for the record, as I have mentioned it before, so do I, six months max
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I thought I was odd doing it every couple years

A friend of mine said it was like knocking down your house and completely rebuilding it every year instead of just spring cleaning. Maybe he's right, but it keeps me happy and I very rarely have ANY computer issues.

I have an older copy of Norton Ghost which I use to re-image my PC back to pristine condition. I keep all my data files on a separate partition and the ghost image file lives on a separate HDD so it's a very quick process. Maybe I should recreate that image and include XWD...

Sorry... going way off-topic.

Rich

If I uninstall a Xara product from a computer, is my registration count somehow officially decremented (allowing me then to install on some other computer that only I will use)?

Quote Originally Posted by cursor View Post
    If I uninstall a Xara product from a computer, is my registration count somehow officially decremented (allowing me then to install on some other computer that only I will use)?
    Nope..... That's why you must contact support after three activations.

If they did it correctly, then it WOULD opperate as you suggest. Maybe they will take a hint from reading this thread. I know this is "doable" since the vendor of another product I own ( www.alk.com ) DOES decrement the server count when you un-install.

Boo

Quote Originally Posted by boobear View Post
    another product I own DOES decrement the server count when you un-install.
    Does it alert you if your internet connection is down at the time you try to uninstall? Or if the reason you are uninstalling (in order to install on another PC) is because of hardware failure which prevents connection to the internet?