Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Page Numbering/Naming

Hello all...
    I've just purchased XWD and have been working with it all day. I have no problem building new pages from templates, however I am a little confused as to how the program names consecutive pages and thus how am I supposed to link to these new pages on my navbar. If I create an index.htm page and export, I get and index_files folder and and index.htm page. If I create a second page I still have only one index files folder but I now have an index_2.htm folder. I've searched the forum for "page naming", etc. but have been unable to find anything to explain to me how this process (export) is carried out. I would like each of my pages to have separate names and hopefully separate file_folders. Also, I have reviewed the videos regarding navbars and button links, but I am not sure as to how I would link to these subsequent pages as I am unable (or more accurately...unknowledgeable) as to how to do this. Do I need to open the folders in frontpage/dreamweaver to rename? If someone could explain...I'd sure be appreciable.
    IP

Andover, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Milky Way, Universe

Default Re: Page Numbering/Naming

WELCOME to TalkGraphics!

Just to be sure, I'm assuming you've created multiple pages within a single .web document.

That being said, you can press CTL-SHIFT-W to get the properties and in the PAGE tab, specify a name for your page. No need for an extension here, though.

Once you do this and you create a clickable menu, you should see a drop-down with the names of your pages visible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	link description.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	57980  
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 23 March 2009 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Deleted unnecessary quote of an earlier post ~ Egg
    -h
    ===============
    (a.k.a.) Bobby Harris
    IP

Take a look at the Community Guide stickied at the top of this board, that should help you out.
    IP

Thank you...I know you folks are just volunteers and I sure appreciate all the work you do here. I'm sure I'll have more questions in the days to follow.
    IP

I would like each of my pages to have separate names and hopefully separate file_folders.
    The separate names issue is explained as h's post above.

Separate folders aren't possible as far as I'm aware unless you create a series of one page web files and link them that way. Having all the files in a single folder ensures that each image or css file only needs to be uploaded once and thereafter can be reloaded from the local computer cache. If you had a background image (background.jpg) in several different folders then each one would need to be uploaded anew from each folder. Hope that makes sense.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

Andover, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Milky Way, Universe

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    The separate names issue is explained as h's post above.

Separate folders aren't possible as far as I'm aware unless you create a series of one page web files and link them that way. Having all the files in a single folder ensures that each image or css file only needs to be uploaded once and thereafter can be reloaded from the local computer cache. If you had a background image (background.jpg) in several different folders then each one would need to be uploaded anew from each folder. Hope that makes sense.
    Correct Egg!

The only reason I can imagine having every page be separate would be for subdomains.

In that case you'd create a new folder for every page that's going to be a subdomain and upload them using an outside ftp client would probably be the easiest way to complete the task.
    -h
    ===============
    (a.k.a.) Bobby Harris
    IP

Or, for every subdomain, you'd create a new folder for every set of structured pages. A subdomain can, of course, be a complete website as required to address its target market.
    IP