Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default buttons in nav bar not working properly

I’m building a web site using Web Designer. The site has a vertical nav bar that I essentially pulled down from the button gallery with a few changes. First I had a links tab of the web properties window, I’d get xara.com. This problem may be getting fixed, at least now some of the buttons are working correctly. However, now, in a browser, when I move the cursor across the buttons, they group together and all (the first four, actually) point to the address for the first button. If I move the cursor into the button from below it, it works properly. Any ideas? The site is at: MasterPrintmakers.org
    Attached Files Attached Files
    IP

Default Re: buttons in nav bar not working properly

I only see one page in your .web file. Where are the rest?
    IP

Hi Louis,

The problem is the buttons on the MouseOver layer have the xara.com URL for several of the buttons.

I would recommend changing your buttons so they are soft groups. That would prevent different URLs being assigned to the buttons on different layers.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Cursor – the reason there’s only one page in the file is that I gave each page a separate document/file rather than doing everything on one page, which I suppose would have been better. So far I’ve only worked on my own web sites, which means I don’t do very many of them, and I wasn’t sure how to make the links work if everything was in one document. I’m going to try to figure this out when I have a few minutes (or hours).

Soquill – Thanks, I’ve got all the links working now. There’s still a problem with the mouseover alignment. I realize that this is because I resized the text on the mouseoff state and didn’t adjust the mouseover button size too. I’ll correct this later; it’s a small enough problem for now. Also I think the moving the cursor across from button to button problem was caused partially by this misalignment but more because the logo above the buttons was too close and overlapped a bit. I corrected this. It’s a learning process.

Overall, I think the program worked pretty well. It wasn’t really difficult to build the web site. There was some debugging, mostly because of my own learning curve, but in the end, I’m happy with the result. This site still has some major revisions, including adding the forum, all of which should come in a week or two, depending on my own schedule. After that, it will slowly evolve along with the underlying organization. Then I’ve got two other sites, both of which are much more complicated, to do.
    IP

Yes, it is a learning curve. I'm on a rollercoaster ride of my own.

Note that by having all of a website's pages within a single .web file will allow you to very nicely control universal alignment of repeated features (like navbars and buttons).
    IP

I saw that in one of the movies and it's a nice feature but it didn't work for me. I probably missed something. I named repeating objects as instructed (I think), made sure they were in each page, but when I clicked on "update repeating objects" nothing happened. I'm going to work on this some because it is a nice feature.
    Thanks!
    IP

Make sure that you name them 'repeating:WhateverName'. That is 'repeating' + colon + YourChosenName. If you want to see the syntax, just select the item(s) that you want repeated, then menu select Arrange > Repeat on all pages. Make sure that you have all of the applicable layers activated in your Layer gallery. Then open your Names dialog and see what name was applied. If you don't like the name, then highlight it, then click the rename button.
    IP

I believe I have a similar issue except my buttons are pointing to the last page, all except for the third button. I don't quite understand the solution offered here.Can someone break it down step by step?

I tried deleting the navbar from every page and then redoing the navbar on the homepage and repeating it on all pages.
    IP

Hi Kate,

I had that happen last night...all my buttons except for the 3rd would open the last page.

Everything looked as I thought it should. I had assigned the link to Page 2, Page 3, and Page 4.

The problem was I had forgotten to name those pages.

Using the Web Properties Page tab and entering a name for each page fixed the problem.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Can you attach the .web file, Kate?

edit: nevermind. i see that you already uploaded it to a post in a different thread.
    Last edited by cursor; 20 March 2009 at 03:29 PM. Reason: added comment
    IP