Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: [Tip] Guides are your friend...

You can also add a button to toggle rulers on and off by going to the Window menu > control bars chose button palette from the dialog, hold Alt and drag any button to any control bar. This also works in Xtreme.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    You can also add a button to toggle rulers on and off by going to the Window menu > control bars chose button palette from the dialog, hold Alt and drag any button to any control bar. This also works in Xtreme.
    I think Frances mean't that any button can be dragged to the control bars, but of course only the Page Rulers button will toggle rulers off/on..
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Yes that's what I meant. Thanks Steve, apologies for any confusion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Andover, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Milky Way, Universe

Quote Originally Posted by cursor View Post
    Guidelines and guide objects can be assigned "repeating items" status.
    This was a GREAT tip for me.

Thank You.
    -h
    ===============
    (a.k.a.) Bobby Harris

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Macintosh View Post
    For those who don't know ---> the other alignment aid in Xara-WD is the Alignment Tool. You can find it under the 'Arrange' Menu. The alignment tool has a rivalry with the guides. They both want to be your bestest friend! Xara has made both increadibly intuitive to use to good effect. Visit Xara's help files if you want explanations of their usage.

Regards, Ross
    Alignment...one my all time fav tools.

Tom

Interesting thread. This is the first I've heard of rulers and alignment guides in XWD. None of this seems to appear in the "getting started" or online guide docs. Thanks for posting it!

PS: no criticism of the documentation implied, only of my lameness in how I was trying to access it.
    Last edited by Spinny; 23 April 2009 at 03:00 PM.
    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa
    Visit Spinland Studios: http://www.spinlandstudios.com

Quote Originally Posted by cursor View Post
    Guidelines and guide objects can be assigned "repeating items" status.
    Curtis I missed this last month
    Can you show me how guidelines (not guide objects) can be assigned as a repeating object?

I've dragged the ruler icon in the toolbar at the top of XWD, that way it's always handy.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger
    Can you show me how guidelines (not guide objects) can be assigned as a repeating object?
    I should have said guide lines, rather than "guidelines," perhaps. That said,
    • All elements that reside on the Guides layer are shown with the distinctive dashed red outline. Any fills are ignored, but not forgotten -- that is:.
      • Create a circle (with solid color fill) on MouseOff
      • Moving it to the Guides layer will make the fill inaccessible.
      • Move the circle back to the MouseOff layer, and it's full attribute set is restored.
    • Lines (and other objects, including text) can be created or positioned on the Guides layer that have one or multiple control points that snap to guidelines (or grid positions, or other objects ... on any number of layers).
      All of these objects can be made repeating.
    • By attaching both start and end points of horizontal or vertical line segment to a single guideline, you can create a overlapping guide line that can be made repeating.
    • While guidelines can't be named (and consequently can't be [formal] repeating objects), all guidelines that reside on the current page are automatically duplicated when doing an Edit > Pages > New page.
      • The page is inserted directly after the current page.
      • All page attributes from the current page are duplicated (size, background, etc.)
    • Note that doing an Edit > Pages > Duplicate current page will behave exactly the same as > New page, except that in addition to the above, all graphic elements from the current page are duplicated (in place) ... including guidelines.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_temp.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	59902  

Thanks Curtis, I knew about objects (boxes, circles and lines) drawn in the guide layer. It was guidelines that had me stumped as they aren't selectable objects, so couldn't be assign to repeating status.

This will be useful to other members too.
    Thanks again for taking the time.