Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Master page(s)

Default Master page(s)

OK, it's been mentioned before, but I just want to add my voice.

I'm trying to move away from Serif WebPlus X2, because although it has excellent functionality the user interface is a real mess and annoys me all the time. XWD is marvellous in comparison - like a breath of fresh air.

But.... the WebPlus concept of a master page (in fact, multiple master pages) where you put all the "common" stuff - such as logos, navbars, copyright, etc - is great and makes site development so much easier.

Copying and pasting this stuff over all your pages - as in XWD - is a bit of an inelegance, to be honest.

I'm a massive Xara fan and I see so much potential in XWD I just hope Xara will continue to enhance it.

Thack

Default Re: Master page(s)

Another request for the master page. It's a feature request I've already mentioned in a previous post.

This feature could work similarly to WYSIWYG Web Builder, or the WordPress Widget feature. I use both of these programs and find the master page/widget features to be very helpful. And they are great time-savers.

Can you not accomplish this by efficiently storing your reusable components in the Design Gallery?

Quote Originally Posted by cursor View Post
    Can you not accomplish this by efficiently storing your reusable components in the Design Gallery?
    With master pages, any change to the master page affects every page based upon it, it's not like a separate component on each page.

As a workaround you could use page 1 as the master page with all objects set to repeat and name page 2 as the index. That way you can easily see which objects will appear on all pages. I haven't used Serif WebPlus X2 so I may be missing the point.

Drwyd

Yes, it seems that by combining repeating objects and soft groups (with saved page templates in your Design Gallery), you could employ the "master page(s)" concept. No?

Aha! I see, so we already have master pages, very handy

Drwyd

Surprises me that Xara didn't have master pages in WD given their pedigree with the Impression series of DTP on the Riscos platform, just as Xtreme is the offspring of Artworks from many years ago. In Impression, you could make quite drastic changes to a master page, changing frame shapes etc and it automagically changed your doc to suit. Indeed, many standard things like text flow round irregular objects that Impression do seem to be slowly making their way into Xtreme, so why not WD?

PS Bet CM hates it when us old timers drag up how good Impression etc was and why the best of it doesn't appear in newer products. Just joking, honest ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by pbready View Post
    Indeed, many standard things like text flow round irregular objects that Impression do seem to be slowly making their way into Xtreme, so why not WD?
    Indeed why not? All such things that made their way to Xtreme are included in WD. Master pages had not made it to Xtreme yet though.
    John.