Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: making retouch of the face in xtreme

Firstly I think that Xara is the best most usable vector program at any price but for my work editing weddings it is just a non starter.
    The average wedding that I will work on consists of over 300 raw files every image for my clients gets individual treatment, some re-touching gives me a bad head and thats with a full range of tools that I know how to use. Another big plus with Photoshop is scripting and actions that save me days of work not just a few seconds.
    My advice is to use the best program for the job, and in many cases that would be Xara but when needed Photoshop has no equals.
    Watch a few of these short films by someone that does know how to use Photoshop and you will see just how powerful it is.
    http://www.russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    ...As of today, considering tools, there are probably 2 of them that make great difference between raster editors and Xtreme...
    How about the two-ton gorilla in the room: a good brush tool? Another item is not a tool per se, but goes in the toolbelt and is useful: the ability to paint individual portions of a layer different transparencies. More thought would probably reveal others... Oh yeah, the ability to really do CMYK graphics, including color corrections to make a document within gamut. And while we are at it, the different text antialiasing schemes PS makes available save a lot of time, and can't really be duplicated in Xtreme. Or how about Photoshop's warping tool which allows non-uniform warping . . .

These aren't saying I don't love Xtreme--I do, and I use it all the time. But it does a disservice to newbies to say that Xtreme can be used for everything, and that it is just as easy as PS. That simply isn't the case for some things.

Quote Originally Posted by David O'Neil View Post
    How about the two-ton gorilla in the room: a good brush tool?
    You mean raster free hand painting tool? What for? If you already have a vector draving tools, brush strokes and clone tool (as the brush tool is a subset of the clone tool actually). What would brush tool significantly improve?
    John.

No. I mean a vector brush tool that works properly and has power like PS's raster one. IE, a proper vector brush tool would keep the current colors between strokes, work correctly with pen pressure, be adjustable on a per node basis for transparency, width, and whatever else. After seeing the power of PS's brush tool, Xtreme's brush tool is painful to work with for serious endeavors.

I am with you on that one David. I think it was Ian who said it is like using a hose at the moment not a brush!
    Design is thinking made visual.

No. I mean a vector brush tool that works properly and has power like PS's raster one.
    Oh. Sorry, but we are talking about raster tools here. Otherwise we can bring up all the whish list.
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    Oh. Sorry, but we are talking about raster tools here...
    No we aren't. We are talking about which ways Xtreme is inferior to PS, so the OP has a better idea of what can and can't be done EASILY in Xtreme.

No we aren't. We are talking about which ways Xtreme is inferior to PS, so the OP has a better idea of what can and can't be done EASILY in Xtreme.
    Ok, YOU are not talking about raster tools. But I was, read my posts. And you were commenting mine, so...
    John.

Does this mean that I was actually trying to keep the thread more on-topic than you? Cool! Maybe I'll lose my bad boy persona if I keep this up!

Something like that.
    John.