Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Matchbox mini

I've been playing with Xara3d5, and came up with this model of a mini. Not being particuarly artistic, I took a 2D clipart image of a mini, and broke it up into about a dozen objects, and exported them as .web objects into x3d, then just experimented with different extrusions and bevels until it gelled. Reminds me of the Matchbox models of various vehicles I used to play with many many years ago! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Mike

Michael J. Sims

I've been playing with Xara3d5, and came up with this model of a mini. Not being particuarly artistic, I took a 2D clipart image of a mini, and broke it up into about a dozen objects, and exported them as .web objects into x3d, then just experimented with different extrusions and bevels until it gelled. Reminds me of the Matchbox models of various vehicles I used to play with many many years ago! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Mike

Michael J. Sims

Oops , forgot the attachment

Michael J. Sims
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mike, that's really nifty! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Peter

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?

Fantastic animation. It takes a great deal of time and head scratching to work out how to combine the various components. Excellent.
    Egg
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Mike,

Great work on the animation!

Soquili
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Wow, thanks for the praise, folks. As Egg says, much headscratching and fingerbashing, especially till I got the hang of selecting individual objects. The mini was something of an experiment to see what kind of 3D model could be built and displayed within X3D, given its limitations.

Is there a way of having objects at different front-to-back offsets? At the moment a composite model like the mini has to be completely symmetrical, so the two sides of the mini are actually the front and back of the extrusions, the centres of which are all in the same plane. If there was such a method, I can see that being useful.

Mike

Michael J. Sims

As far as I'm aware there is no way of adjusting the "Z" plane of an object. As nice as this would be I think we would be entering the realms of real 3D rendering. BUT WOULDN'T IT BE GREAT. I have always thought that Xara are missing a great opportunity to give us a vector 3D program!
    Egg
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Great effort Mike.

It never ceases to amaze me how far people can push X3D. Simply amazing.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

The Xara Xone

I've been doing what my wife calls "polishing", ie. tidying up loose ends, adding a few details, cleaning up the messy bits. OK, I know that process could go on forever, but I'm happy enough to call it finished, and I'm pleased with the result.

Mike

Michael J. Sims
    Attached Images Attached Images