Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Text in shape?

Default Text in shape?

Hi Folks,

Checked the help files, the manual, can't find an answer.

Can text be entered into a shape, where it becomes part of the shape?

Thanks much

Cliff

Default Re: Text in shape?

You mean like this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	textfilledshape.png 
Views:	348 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	57843  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 21 March 2009 at 05:47 AM.

yup! How'd ya do it?

thanks

now that I downloaded the attach...

no... that's not what I mean.....

I would like to draw a shape, click in it, and type....

I know I could do some text and them just group them but if I want to change any attributes of of the shape, I have to ungroup. And if I have many, it's a pain.

That's how is works in the Serif Drawplus program... but I like Xara better and was hoping it could do the same

Cliff

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Cliff - Xara's repel feature may be more flexible than you are giving it credit for. One interesting thing about it is that the text object and the repelling object don't need to be grouped. In fact they can be on different layers (even locked ones) and the repelling still works. In Sledger's example the 'mask' & the text are still fully editable -- and if either is edited the text re-flows automatically. He didn't have to set a background colour. The mask can even be made fully transparent and still work. It can also be beveled, feathered or given a shadow. The shape can be simple or complex.

Give it a chance. Play.

I'm actually with Cliff here. Not because it's a feature I particularly want or need (and the Mask method in sledger's example would do for the odd occasion I might need it). But because it strikes me as a feature that just should be available: "draw a shape and flow text into it".

sledger's example is a workaround, something dedicated Xaraeans (from the planet Xara ) have been used to doing for many years for a variety of features. It is a solution, but hardly the easy one it could have been. But text handling has only been a very recent innovation as far as Xtreme is concerned, and I'm sure that feature will come, in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Macintosh View Post
    The mask can even be made fully transparent and still work.
    Actually that's not true. It works at 99% transparency. At 100% the mask loses its repel properties.
    Last edited by Big Frank; 21 March 2009 at 04:02 PM. Reason: my spelling sucks
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frank View Post
    Actually that's not true. It works at 99% transparency. At 100% the mask loses its repel properties.
    I see what you say is true. One thing that can be done is make your mask black and apply transparency bleach mode . It will go completely transparent and a still repell. (Similar effect possible with white mask with transparency in stained glass mode).

Great having you participating again Frank! Do you still have the fancy hens and your splittie VW van?

Regards, Ross

To get transparent repelling object, simply set it's transparency to 99.5%. This was discussed here not so long ago.
    John.

I wasn't here not so long ago. I was here a very long time ago and a really, really long time ago, so I'm not guilty.

Ross, I still have chickens but I don't have the VWs any more. Been quite ill over the past few years and a lot has changed. But I'm still an opinionated fat bore, you'll be pleased to hear.

Shame about the mermaids... don't expect to see me any time soon then
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Thanks all for the discussion. Now I can officially give up trying to get text to flow within a graphic.

I'm kinda disappointed this feature is not YET available. I hope Xara puts this up there on the to-do list. It's so nice have text within an object, then if any attributes of the object are changed the text is not affected and can still be altered if necessary.

Just a note to Xara..... 'the competition' (Serif Drawplus) can do this elegantly. Hmmm what do THEY know that Xara doesn't.... (just a friendly poke)

Still... Xara is the BEST overall... I love it! And hawk it big time...

Great Program - Great Forum

Regards
    Cliff